Thursday 23 June 2011

Waltzingmouse Christmas Card Challenge ....

... I've been busy catching up with these challenges - see yesterday's post for full details.  I've finally made my set of three cards using the colours red, white and kraft for the March challenge - WMSCCC03.  When I saw the colours I knew what I wanted to make, but it's taken me ages to do it.  So here they are:



Red, white and kraft always remind me of Scandinavian Christmas colours.  There's also a very homespun and folksy feel to Scandinavian decorations.  I decided to use kraft card for the base.  Onto that I stamped the lovely cross-stitch star from the Secret Santa set in bright red.  I added some white snowflakes on top the stars.  On the first card I stamped the star in white pigment ink and embossed with clear powder, but it was a bit washed out (middle of the photo above).  So for the other two cards I stamped the snowflake in Versamark and embossed with detail white powder - a much stronger and clearer image.  For the main image I settled on the little Christmas tree from the Nutcracker Sweet set - mind I nearly went for the stitched tree from Sewing Box - Christmas.  I put both stamps on a large block, inked them with Versamark and then did the tree in Crumb Craft and the sentiment in Real Red.  I embossed the final image with clear embossing powder.  I cut the mats and toppers with my rectangular nesties and to complete the image I added a red gem to the star on the tree.  I'm really pleased with this set. 




Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Secret Santa Set, Join Us, Nutcracker Sweet
Inks:  Versamark; Stampin' Up! - Real Red, Crumb Craft, White
Spellbinders:  Classic Rectangles Lg (S4-132) die # 5; Classic Scalloped Rectangles Lg (S4-133) die #5
Accessories:  Card, mirri board, embossing powder from stash

I'm still trying to come up with a design for the card that my brother-in-law wants for his Anniversary.  It's really tough to make this one as he wants to have a picture of my sister, Tracey, and him on the card.  He's settled on the picture I used for her "In Memory" card.  So you can see why it's hard to make.  But I will do them both proud :)

That's all for now.  I've still got two more cards to make for the WMS Christmas Card Challenges - April and June - so I'll be back later.  Have a great day - the sun is actually shining here and it's almost like summer, but without the heat!!

6 comments:

Kim S said...

This does have such a Scandinavian feel to it...the background is lovely.

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely cards Deborah...its a pretty tree love your background.

Anne

Lynn Mercurio said...

Wow, Deb....this are amazing. Love the background you have created....it adds so much dimension and interest. Awesome job.

Paula (PEP) said...

The background is first rate - I find white pigment ink hard to handle too. I love the way you've placed the design & the elegance of the whole. The colours are just brilliant & the cross stitch is utterly Scandinavian - that's it was almost taken for granted that girls do in crafting terms when I was a child in Sweden.
Paula (PEP)

Mona Pendleton said...

What a darling collection Deb! Love the little red rhinestone! Thanks for joining along with the WMSC :)

Stella said...

Scandinavina designs are one of my favorites too. There is beauty in the simplicity of their designs but it also has something warm and cozy. I just love that.
And you captured that feeling in your cards in a wonderful way. Fabulous!
Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...