Friday 17 June 2011

Nautical Dad's Day ...

For my Waltzingmouse Blog Waltz post - see here.

... this is a card for my father - I used the wonderful colours from this week's Colour Q challenge - the inspiration picture is a striped tie, so it made me think of cards for men!


I've had to adapt the colours a little, as I think the burgundy and blue must be older Stampin' Up! colours.  I made my card using some new stamps that I got from QVC last week - they're made by Kanban and the set is called All Occasions - and there's not a stamp that I don't like.  I've gone for a nautical theme.  I started off by stamping the anchor in the corner of my card and then masked it before stamping the main lighthouse image (love the swirl).  Next I added the flying birds and the simple sentiment.  I added some colour to the image using my aqua painter - I like the watercolour effect.  I added a bit of sparkle to the light in the lighthouse and the moon using Sakura Stardust pens.  Sadly the sparkle doesn't show up well in the scan.




Stamps: Kanban - All Occasions, Words (don't know the name of the set, but also from QVC)
Inks:  Stampin' Up! - Cherry Cobbler (Bravo Burgundy), Bashful Blue (Bordering Blue), Cajun Craze, Basic Grey
Accessories:  Sakura Stardust pens, card from stash

For various reasons, my father and I have not been in touch for many, many years and I thought it was time to try and make contact again.  Since my sister died in March I've been thinking about my father more and more, so I sent this to Dad this morning.  And now it's up to him.  Families are funny things!! 

I'm off to do a bit of reading and resting my knee.  It's feeling very much better than yesterday, but I have to keep remembering not to use it too much - I'm scared that it will go again!!  See you all later.

16 comments:

Buffy said...

This is beautiful Debs.

Tara Cardwell said...

Great card Deborah - you've put the scene together really well.

Hope your father likes it and responds.

Keep resting that knee! If you have a herbalist nearby - see if they do comfrey ointment - it really helps strengthen mine when it goes.

Tara
x

Kary said...

Hi Deb, The card is beautiful!! I hope your dad will like it. Do take care of yourself too!

Sasha said...

This is a lovely card Deborah! Great stamping and colouring, your father will love it...I'm sure of that!

Hope your knee isn't causing you too much discomfort. Thank you! for your comment on my recent cards x

McCrafty's Cards said...

Beautiful card, I like the image and your colouring is fab. your Father will love i.
Kevin xx

ps I hope you are feeling better soon

Paula (PEP) said...

Families are so unpredictable - hope things turn out for you......love the whole card & a really super composition for a man. Take care of that knee.
Paula (PEP)

jimlynn said...

So nice that you've reached out to your father and this is just a wonderful card to do it with. It's beautiful.
Lynn

Jenny said...

Hi Deborah, this is lovely and just right for Fathers Day.
I obviously don't know anything of your family split but I hope he makes contact after recieving your card...I sense you would like him to:)
((Hugs))
Jenny x

Lana said...

Beautiful card! I hope your father likes it!

Anita Scroggins said...

Very pretty and well done. Thanks for joining us this week at CQC.

Jackie said...

What a beautiful card, I hope it does the trick and your father contacts you :o)
Jackie xx

GinaA said...

Love the way the anchor grounds the image. Hope you are back to normal soon.

Dolly Daydreams said...

Wiw i love this what a gorgeous image and such beautiful colouring too.

Marie

Lynn Mercurio said...

Love this Deb. The nautical theme is so perfect for a Father's Day card.

Pamela Lash said...

I heart your watercoloring and this nautical theme is perfect for those colors! I hope your card opens up a dialogue between you and your dad. I just became a follower and would love if you follow me too.
Mama LoveBug from LoveBug Creations
http://lovebugcreations3.blogspot.com/

Sylvia said...

Love your nautical Father's Day card, Deborah! Your water coloring is lovely. thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...