Monday 26 September 2011

Round, like a circle ....

... this week, the Walzingmouse Sketch Challenge - WMSC 66 is a sketch from Claire - and she's gone for a lovely circular card!  Now, I don't have much success with circular cards - so I did think about simply making a rectangular card with a large circular focal image.  Then I thought again and decided to have a go!! 



The card is also for the current Ribbon Reel challenge - RR11, which has been set by Keilly and she's given us a lovely inspiration photo of the most magnificent Birthday cake.  As usual we must feature the colours and have ribbon and/or lace on the card. 

Darn just read the instructions again - and realised that the theme for the card should be Birthday - obviously really when it's a birthday cake!  Hey ho!  Mine's an anniversary card!  Well I'll submit it anyway - maybe the girls won't notice ;)

There was only ever going to be one way for me to make this card and that was to use my Spellbinders nesties.  And I used my nice new Grand Scalloped Circle to make the card.  This is a large card measuring almost 7" in diameter - and it's turned out rather differently to my initial thoughts!!

I started off with an 8" square card and the Grand Calibur to cut out the base card, making sure I left part of the side intact.  Next I cut complete plain circle which I sprayed with Cosmic Shimmer - the plan was for a very subtle shimmer.  My spray bottle didn't help - I ended up with some rather large splats!  Still looked okay, so I left it to dry.  Meanwhile I stamped one of the large doilies onto some blue vellum, embossed with white powder and then cut it out.  I also stamped a couple of the smaller doilies onto some pink paper, again doing a fussy cut!  I also prepared the sentiment label - using one of the very pretty fancy tags. 

I created the background by dividing the scalloped circles - using post-it notes - and then stamped the trellis pattern on the narrow edge and used several flourishes on the wide edge.  In my first take on the card I did have a huge bit of frilly lace covering all the trellis pattern - but it just didn't look right, so I removed it and used this lovely satin ribbon over the join!!  Finally, I added the doilies, the label sentiment and sweet brad.  Not quite what I had in mind, but I think a much nicer card than it was.


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse: Dainty Doilies - Large, Flourishes - Scallops & Dots, Pic-Nic Patterns, Say It with Style
Inks:  Distress - Broken China, Tumbled Glass, Spun Sugar, Worn Lipstick
Spellbinders: Grand Big Scalloped Circles (LF-249) #6, Fancy Tags Two (S5-030)
Accessories:  Cosmic Shimmer - Aqua Lagoon; Papermania - Inspirations Warm Tones; Stampin' Up! - Filigree Brad; Ribbon, vellum and card from stash

We had a super day out at the Food Festival yesterday - it was warm, sunny and really busy.  I took loads of photos on my new camera - I feel it's going to be quite a big learning curve!  What looked to be excellent on the camera, turned out to be not quite right when viewed large on the PC.  The auto-focus (it'll be a while before I play with manual) didn't always focus on the subject!!  Nearly, but not quite.  I'll be going through the pictures this week and post a few later on.

Now - I'm off for breakfast and a quick tidy before heading off to craft class.  Have a good day - see you tomorrow!

16 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Very pretty card and love how you have placed all your elements...

Anne

Pauline said...

Fab card Deborah, great stamping and wonderful use of colour. Love the little brad and silky ribbon! Thanks so much for joining us at The Ribbon Reel this week!

Tara Cardwell said...

I love this Deborah - I'm hopeless at round cards too so well done you for tackling it.
Tara

Kelly S. said...

Oh that's a cool combo of background images you have there, Deborah! The layered flourishes look wonderful like that! Love the doilies in those colors and that beautiful bracket around the sentiment!

purple_pea_fran said...

This is such a lovely card, Deborah! I'm loving the colours and those gorgeous doilies! Fran x

Paula (PEP) said...

It does tend to be a bit of an adventure when things don't work according to plan.....I've given up now I just start & see where I end up! Love the white embossed vellum - very effective & I must admit I've not had much to do with round cards either.......think that needs to change a bit!
Hope you had a good time at craft class.
Paula (PEP)

Oscar said...

Love the shape of your card Deborah and those vellum doilies (must dig out my vellum and try this). Thanks for joining us at The Ribbon Reel this fortnight.

Sian Ridley said...

Wow! Your card is absolutely stunning!! Given all the fabulous talent in blogland I think it's easy to be a bit blasé about some of the great designs put there; it's pretty tough to catch someone's attention - I think this card has done precisely that! It made me say 'wow' out loud anyway!!

My mojo has deserted me somewhat of late, probably because I've been so busy, but you've got my creative juices flowing and I really want to make something now! :)

Sian Ridley said...

Oh, and not to mention you've used the waltzingmouse set that's right st the top of my wish list! One day, one day!! :)

Cathy Weber said...

I love those flourishes and the texture you created on this card with stamps. You worked so hard on this one! So much cutting and stamping and waiting to dry. It was worth it, this is a masterpiece.

Jackie said...

A beautiful card, so now you have made your first round card it should be easy to make more :O)
Jackie xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Very cool, love how you have used the doilies, great idea!

Charmaine Stack said...

Well done, Deborah. I love the shape and the vellum doily was inspired, as well as all those swirls. I hope I can play along with the WMS sketches again soon; work just keeps getting in the way and I miss it!

Edna Morrisedie said...

Lovely job with the sketch and flabby ink work, looks great.... thanks for playing along with the Mischief Makers this week!

Julie said...

This is SO pretty! I love the flourishes in the background! Just beautiful!

Lorie a.k.a.The Peddler said...

Wonderful card Deborah! I love all the elements you have included in your creation. Gret Job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...