Friday 23 September 2011

Steampunk rodent ....

...  I've finally completed my card for this week's challenge at Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge - WMSC65.  I think the sketch this week is fabulous - drawn by Anya Schrier.
I've taken one liberty with the sketch - I turned it upside down so that the flourish edge is at the top of my card.  I've had a go at the steampunk theme - very loosely this is the anachronistic use of technological elements in Victorian (usually) times.  However, in my case it is more the mixing of grungy elements with fashion, flying and time.  I'm actually really pleased with how it turned out!  Let me know what you think!


I used Spellbinders Labels 20 to make the flourish element at the top of the card.  All the papers come from a coordinating set; I selected papers that had a subtle pattern but would allow stamped images to show up clearly.  I have used a number of different stamp sets - the dress and sentiment are from Waltzingmouse, there are several sets that came free with Craft Stamper and one set - the wings - that I got from a local shop, but sadly have lost the details of the company. 

To make the dress I stamped the image twice - once onto some plain white card and I coloured the decolletage area grey - like a robot!  The second image was stamped onto some crumpled paper - to give texture.  I cut another mat using Labels 20 - black satin onto which I attached some patterned vellum.  The wings were stamped, embossed and fussy cut!  The dress decoration are real little watch cogs!

Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - You're Lovely, Big Day Additions. Off Beat Backgrounds; Free from Craft Stamper - Tempus Fugit, Hot Air Balloons, Chandelier; See D's - Vintage (little pocket watch); Wings & Crown - don't know the company
Inks: Distress - Victorian Velvet, Aged Mahogany; Stampin' Up! - Regal Rose; Memento - Tuxedo Black; Versafine - Onyx Black
Spellbinders: Labels Twenty (S5-026) # 4 and 5
Paper:  Papermania - Inspirations Warm Tones
Accessories:  Martha Stewart punch; ribbon, clear embossing powder and card - from stash; Watch cogs free from local jeweller

Below is a close up of the dress - showing the crumpled finish and the little cogs - they are so tiny, but I think they really do give the feeling of "steampunk"!!


Kathryn saw the card this morning, she picked it up and ran away with it!!  She told me that it's gorgeous and she wants to keep it.  The sentiment I stamped is "Best Wishes" - I adore the font Claire used in the Big Day stamps - but there isn't one saying "Happy Birthday" - which is what I wanted, so I used this one.  I think it would make a super birthday card for a teenage girl!

Now, I can't put it off any longer - I HAVE GOT to do the ironing!!  So I don't think I'll be around again today!  See you soon.

Edited:  I've just realised this card uses the CR84FN38 colours of pink, black and grey - they must have been on my mind - but they work on this card!!

17 comments:

Vicky Hayes said...

This is gorgeous Deborah! I love how feminine you've made it and the watch cogs are a brilliant embellishment. Good luck with that ironing!

Stamps and Paper said...

Gorgeous Deborah...love the steampunk look...

Anne

Tara Cardwell said...

I don't really get the steampunk thing but your interpretation of it is just lovely. I adore the textures on the dress.
Tara x

Shelley Whiting said...

I really love the shape of the card. It's very unique. A very eye catching and intriguing. A beautiful and stunning piece.

Jen Adcock said...

I absolutely know what Katheryn is on about. This card is gorgeous! I just adore the angle wings on the gown and the delectable colour combinations. Your genius use of the Nesties is also inspiring. Again, gorgeous!

Paula (PEP) said...

The texture of that dress is terrific - & those tiny little cogs very Steampunk. Housework calls here too - ironing but only one wash load.
Have a good day - wet, wet, wet here.
Paula (PEP)

Cheryl said...

Well, I don't blame Kathryn for running off with your card...it is stunning! All the work you put into that dress really shows. I love the crumpled paper, and those little cogs are perfect for adding to the steampunk feel. Beautiful paper, too. Love it!!!

Pauline said...

Fabulous card full of wonderful elements! Love the colour too, so pretty!

Sasha said...

I love the feminine style steampunk cards. Those wings on your dress form look amazing:)

Lynn Mercurio said...

Fantastically creative. Love the winged frock.

G Peplow said...

He he, by jove you've got it! Steampunk's what you interpret it to be well quite loosly anyway:0) Love your pink interpretation and grungy dress, it's fabulous, Gay xxx

Jeanne J. said...

Deb, Great card - love all the little details - the cogs gears wings crowns balloons - VERY COOL! I'm really glad you did a separate photo of the dress so I could get a better look at it. My daughter thinks it Rocks too!

Jenny said...

I'm with Tara, not my thing, but I can appreciate a piece of art when I see it :)
So much detail to look at and love the nestie panel at the top :)
Jenny x

Renee said...

Deb that dress and those wings...
stunning!
I love the "steampunk" look with this set...
the hardware...
the colors...
and those wings!!
I automatically thought of Cassandra Clare's "City" series...
more so the prequel series...
"Clockwork Angel" ;)
Fabby, fabby card! :)

Kelly S. said...

Oh this card is tres cool! Awesome use of that sketch turned upside down. That dress you made is positively smashing, just LOVE the colors and texture! So many fun things to take in on this very creative card!

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow! Deb! What a fun card! Love the Vintage vibe and collage of fab elements! That WM gown looks fabulous! Thanks for joining along with the WMSC :)

Jackie said...

Fantastic card, it looks like a very colourful mini minaret :o)
Jackie xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...