Tuesday 6 September 2011

Black, white and read all over .....

... the challenge for this week's CAS-ual Fridays - CFC18 almost caught me out earlier in the week.  I read the comment and thought black, white and red - just like PDCC97 - and off I went to make a card for both challenges.  It was only as I was about to publish my blog that I read the instructions properly - the team at CAS-ual Fridays want us to make a card based on a book - any book - in honour of The United Nations' (UN) International Literacy Day - on 8th September.


I have to admit that it's taken me a while to decide which book to use as inspiration for my card.  I love reading, and next to crafting, it's my favourite hobby - we have books scattered all around our house.  And I usually have at least two books on the go at once!  Jonathan's taken to reading books and magazines on his Kindle - very useful when he went to Mumbai, and Kathryn has a stack of books by her bed - her favourite author is Jacqueline Wilson.

I picked a book by Stephen King as my inspiration - you may have noticed that I'm taking part in the Stephen King Reading Challenge - so it was inevitable really.  I picked the book "It" - one of the few books that has kept me up at night, so my card is obviously a Halloween card.  I wrote a review of this book earlier - you can read it here.  The big nastie in the book is "It" who tends to appear as a clown called Pennywise; he carries balloons with him and sometimes "It" appears as a spider.  Here's my card.



Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Halloween Party, Midnight Feast;  Docrafts - Balloon; Creative Expressions - Trees; Lakeland - Birthday
Ink:  Memento - Tuxedo Black
Promarker:  Poppy
Accessories:  Card from stash

I stamped the main balloon twice - once on the card base and once on a bit of scrap card.  I coloured both images with the red promarker, but on the scrap bit I added some red glaze to give a deep shine.  Then I layered the balloon up - it really does look like its flying into the sky!!  A really creepy Halloween card :)

And it's been a brilliant day - I've got loads done at home - so much easier when I'm on my own!  And now it's time for me to get dinner ready.  That's all for this evening.  I'll be back tomorrow with another card to share.  See you then.

15 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

Very spooky card - perfect for IT, have to admit I haven't read the book, watch the movie and didn't sleep well for a while so giving the book a miss as hate what your imagination puts into the gaps in horror books!

Sasha said...

Great Halloween card, Deborah! I LOVE Steven King, but I'm not much of a reader. I'm more into his films. But I must admit to being a bit of a wimp! I need someone to sit with me while I watch them - LOL!

Marta said...

Great card Deborah! The balloon is perfect but I love other stampings as well. Especially the branch and sentiment.
Thanks for visiting and warm comment.

Meredith MacRitchie said...

This card is NUTS... but perfect. I can never get into Stephen King - I started reading this book years ago, but it never went anywhere for me.

Thanks for the sweet comment today! I am feeling SO much better every day - even an outing here or there! Albeit short ones, of course! :)

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely halloween card Deborah that tree looks very spooky....


Anne

Paula (PEP) said...

Definitely creepy. I like how original you are with your challenges too - not an obvious choice for a card but it certainly sounds apt for your review of the book. I'm giving this one a very wide berth!
Paula (PEP)

Unknown said...

great card!

Jenny said...

What a great card, useful to know the background of the book tho! LOL
I'm definitely not a thriller novel type....much too scary for me :)
Jenny x

Emily Keaton said...

What a fun card--great inspiration, and perfect for the CAS-ual Fridays challenge! Well done. :)

Mynn xx said...

Creepily awesome!

Virginia L. said...

Wow, this is totally inspiring and creative, Deborah! I love how you interpret Stephen King's book!Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays! Hope to see more of your fabulous work!

Pauline said...

Great card Deborah, I love those WMS stamps, I may have to get that set!

Jackie said...

Fantastic card, I read that book many years ago, along with several other Stephen King books :o)
Jackie xx

Vicky Hayes said...

This book really does sound like my biggest nightmare! Love the card though - it's very atmospheric.

Michele Gross said...

Love your interpretation!! Great card and love the halloween sentiment :) Thanks for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...