Saturday 8 October 2011

Playing with spooky colours ....

... so, I did manage to get some more time in my craft room last night and I decided that I had to play along with this week's Play Date Cafe Challenge - PDCC102 - after all they've picked some of my MOST favourite colours - green, fuchsia, purple and black - sigh!!!!  Love them!

And isn't that inspiration photo just wonderful!!  It had to be a Halloween card and I was able to play with my lovely new Waltzingmouse Halloween stamps.  Claire does design some of the prettiest stamps.  When the Hocus Pocus stamps were launched, Anya created this very atmospheric card and I have to credit her with the inspiration for my card.

I started off by shading with Milled Lavender all over the card base.  Next I stamped the Gothic-style gate and fence and added a crow for atmosphere.  Then I stamped the cottage front (using the second impression to give a lighter tone) and added some subtle colour with Promarkers.  Then I found the owl stamp and decided to include him too.  Some more colour was added by shaded with Dusty Concord and a touch of Black Soot at the edges of the card.  I stamped some stars into the night sky and - if you look closely, you will see a few bats flying away from the roof top.  I used my nesties to cut out a bright green scalloped circle and the inverted scalloped nestie on the fuchsia satin mirri - and then layered them up - I like the effect of green beads!!  I stamped the wonderful Hocus Pocus sentiment in Versafine and embossed with clear powder to give a lovely glossy finish.  Finally, Winnie was stamped onto a piece of card, cut out and then turned over and coloured with a black Promarker - she now faces the right direction!!!

Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Cottage House, Hocus Pocus Midnight Feast, Halloween Party
Inks:  Versafine - Onyx Black; Distress - Milled Lavender, Dusky Concord, Black Soot
Spellbinders:  Classic Scalloped Circles Sm (S4-125) # 5, Classic Inverted Scalloped Circles Lg (S4-194) #5
Promarkers: Black, Canary, Gold, Warm Grey 1, Warm Grey 3
Accessories:  Card, clear embossing powder from stash

Now, I think I have to give a special mention to my daughter Kathryn, this design owes a lot to her.  I had originally planned to have the Gothic window in the centre of the label, with a sentiment in another nestie in the bottom left hand corner.  I told Kathryn what I was planning; she looked at the card and the stamps and then said "Mummy, it would be much better with the sentiment in the middle and the witch on the side!!"   And do you, she was absolutely right.  So, thank you Kathryn - you're my star!  Here's a close up of the sentiment - it has a lovely translucent look on this mirri card!


That's all for now.  Jonathan and I have got a busy morning lined up with finishing off in the garage, we've got some old (cheap) bookcases that are falling apart and need to go into the skip.  Jonathan has just started to sort through some of his old cassette recordings!  If you listen closely you can hear him crying!!!  It's not that I'm evil, it's just that we have to clear out the old stuff that's cluttering up the place.  I don't know when Jonathan last listened to any of the tapes - although we may be listening to some later :)

See you soon!

10 comments:

Lynne said...

Fabulous take on the challenge Deborah. Sometimes it does us the world of good to have some constructive advice and your Kathryn certainly has an eye for placement.
Lynne xxx

Vicky Hayes said...

What a striking card - really great for halloween! Good for Kathryn - I think I agree on the central sentiment and the witch looks fab in that corner. My husband has the same attachment to his old tapes and LPs!

Kim S said...

What an amazing scene. Each detail is perfect! The sponged background, the lighter house, the inverted scallop die cut (I have to admit it had never occurred to me to out this on a scallop circle - it's perfect!) - they all make such a perfect scene for that wonderful witch.

Tara Cardwell said...

Great card - it actually reminds me of the move Hocus Pocus with Bette Midler!

Must be so nice to share your crafting love with Kathryn - you'll be doing that for a lifetime - what a great gift :-)

Mona Pendleton said...

Oh my Deb! This card is SPOOKTACULAR!!! Love the scene you created using all those WMS and the color really pops!

Pauline said...

Great card Deb, I too cut and reversed that witch for a Big Witch Off for my Ribbon Reel DT projects, do you think Claire would bring out a sister for Winnie in an opposing position?! Good luck with all your clearing out, I don't envy you at all, and mind your knee! Xx

jimlynn said...

Outstanding!!! Love everything about this.
Lynn

Sara (Drink Me Designs) said...

This is a very spooky Halloween card! I have the Hocus Pocus stamp set coming soon(overseas shipping sure does take a while), and I would love to do something in altered art based off of this! I'm planning on entering The Play Date Cafe challenge myself with my own Halloween-I would have loved to use this stamp set-card I have made, but I would love to use your card for inspiration to do something possibly in altered art for myself or CASE your card if that's okay with you. :)

Andrea Ewen said...

Brilliant, Deb! Your colors are so vibrant and I love that festive Halloween scene! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

What a fabulous way to use our colors--love your silhouettes and black scene!! BEAUTIFUL focal panel too! Thanks so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the PDCC:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...