Monday 10 October 2011

OLW67 - Thoughtsgiving ....

... this week's One Layer Wednesday - OLW67 challenge is being hosted by Jennifer at Styles Ink.  When I logged on last Wednesday I couldn't get to Jennifer's blog - it was being hacked, but fortunately Jennifer's husband is a computer whiz and repelled the hackers!  Good man!!!

The theme for OLW67 is to "to make and send/deliver a “Thinking of You” card to someone who is struggling with any kind of battle. I would also like all participants to make a five dollar (or more!) donation to the cancer research/cause of their choice." 

Edited:  I forgot to mention that my chosen cancer charity is Cancer Research UK - and I've donated.  They do really good work.  Jennifer - thanks for the nudge!!  Something I do on a regular basis is give blood, and a few years ago I went that extra stage and got added to the bone marrow donor list.  I've been called twice for additional blood tests - but so far haven't donated anything.  If you can - this is a great way to help. 
I've got a crafty friend in the village who is really having a tough time at the moment.  Last year her Mum died and since then her Dad has not been very good, and recently they've been told that her Dad is really ill.  Not only that, her son has got life threatening problems too.  And the icing on the cake is that my friend also has chronic health issues, which aren't getting better.  Yet, despite all this, she is cheerful, thoughtful of others and caring - so I've made my card for her.

I used one of my favourite stamps, which has not seen much ink lately, for this card.  I started off by using a bit of die cut waste as a stencil for the card.  I sponged several colours on the stencil to create a garden/sky scene.  Using my stamp-a-ma-jig, I positioned the tree in the center of the garden and then added a simple sentiment directly above.  I added some colour to the tree by using Flower Soft which I've had in my room for ages and this is the first time I've used it.  As we're now well into Autumn I decided that my tree would have the golden colours of autumn for the leaves.


Stamps:  Penny Black - Fantasy Tree; HOTP - Sentiments
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black; Distress - Bundled Sage, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky, Chipped Sapphire
Spellbinders:  Lotus Pendant (S4-269) - I used the waste left to create the lovely starry shape
Accessories:  Flower Soft - Autumn; Card from stash

I have to tell you guys how impressed I am with my decorators.  They were here bang on time - 8.30am and immediately set to work.  They've almost finished Ben's bedroom - it will need an extra coat on two walls as Ben's drawn on the walls!! Kids!!!  The guys will be back tomorrow morning for more! 

Yesterday I told you that we hope to be off to the States in the New Year.  Several of you commented on the crafty opportunities available to me!!  Now, you must realise that this in no way influences my decision to want to go to America!!!  :) :)  Yes, right!  Even Jonathan realised that I might go mad on crafty purchases - PTI goodies with no shipping charges, Micheal's stores and all sorts of stuff at prices much cheaper than in the UK.  Of course, I want to go to the US.

That's all for now - off to see my friend (above) and deliver her card.  See you all later.

12 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

This is gorgeous Deborah - your friend will love it.

So when do you want us to send your our US wish lists ;-)
Tara x

Pauline said...

Beautiful card. Loved how you used the flower soft. Colors are gorgeous. I know your friend will really like it.

Jackie said...

What a beautiful card and colours :o)
Jackie xx

G Peplow said...

Hi Deborah, Gorgeous card, I love all the flowersoft on the tree and that sentiment is just right:0) Gay xxx

Paula (PEP) said...

The background you created is beautiful with the plain black tree & the lovely golden tones of the Flower Soft.
Paula (PEP)

Mynn xx said...

That tree is just simply amazing! WONDERFUL one layer card--love your flower soft as leaves!!!

Marybeth said...

I love your beautiful tree card!

Julia Aston said...

What a lovely tree for your friend - I'm sure she will appreciate your thoughtfulness Deborah!

where are you going to be in the states??? anywhere near Boston, Massachusetts?????

Pauline said...

This is a beautiful card Deborah, a lovely card for your friend.

Stella said...

Being back here is wonderful :) And this card; there are always so many gorgeous details to look at on your projects! And this card is one of my favorites. You did a terrific job in the way you created the background and I just LOVE this tree. Wow!
Hugs! XXX

Jen W. said...

You've been a busy lady lately! This is beautiful! Love the sponged background and that Flowersoft gives a fantastic effect!

I'm the same when I visit the US - I come back with a suitcase full of crafty goods! :)

Jenny said...

What a pretty card Deborah, the golden leaves look so good. I'm sure your friend will appreciate the thought and time you put into this fab card :)
Jenny x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...