Tuesday 11 October 2011

Everyone smiles ....

.... and for Julie Ranae that's a bit tough at the moment as, following emergency surgery her front teeth have been removed - you can read all about it here.  Julie was was told that repair work and replacement dentures would be covered by insurance - but that's where it all fell apart.  No insurance coverage and no front teeth - so Julie is finding it hard to smile at the moment.  It's times like this that I'm so grateful for the British NHS - it might be a bit slow at times, a bit clunky and we might swear at it, but for something like this - it's brilliant. 

I first came across Julie when I played in The Play Date Cafe challenge, still one that I try to do each week.  So this week's CAS-ual Friday's - CFC23 is a special challenge inspired by Julie - we need to make a clean and simple card either using the quote "Everyday you spend without a smile, is a lost day" or simply taking it as the inspiration for your card.


I decided to take the quote as the inspiration for my card - and the free stamp with this month's Craft Stamper magazine is a super quirky smiley face!  Perfect for this challenge.  I stamped the image on to some plain white card, coloured it with Promarkers and cut it out with my square nestie - I added some definition to the edge of the image with a black Promarker.  I borrowed some nesties from my crafty friend yesterday and used one for this card - the mat is in red to coordinate with the bright red lipstick and I shaded the embossed dots with black ink.  Finally I stamped this sentiment - which works perfectly for the challenge - highlighting the word "smiles" in red.


Stamps:  Hero Arts - Words of Wisdom; Crafty Notions - Quirky Face (free with Craft Stamper)
Inks: Memento - Tuxedo Black; Stampin' Up! - Real Red
Spellbinders: Fair Isle Pendant (S40270), Standard Squares Lg (S4-126) #4
Promarkers: Blush, Satin, Ivory, Black, Berry Red, Tea Green, Ice Grey 1, Ice Grey 2
Accessories:  Card from stash

Nicole Rixon owner of Sweet Stamp shop has organised a blog hop for Operation Julie's Smile and there's a Paypal donation button on CAS-ual Friday's page if you would like to help Julie - she needs over $4,000 in total.  Have fun following the hop!

That's all for now - I'm off to do a bit more decluttering!!  See you later.

11 comments:

G Peplow said...

Brilliant card Deborah, I'd say it's got attitude, the face is almost Picaso'ish :0) Awful to hear of Julies plight, as you say thank heavens we have the NHS.
Well done with all the de-cluttering it must be very refreshing, Gay xxx

Tara Cardwell said...

What a fabulous card Deborah - I love your sentiment.
Tara x

Stamps and Paper said...

You have made a lovely card with your free stamp...love the sentiments.

Anne

Paula (PEP) said...

I do like the way you have used different colours for the wording - very effective.
Paula (PEP)

Mynn xx said...

LOVE this! Your framed image is amazing and your sentiment is fab!

Karen B. said...

Love how you've accented the "Smile" with the red border! What a great design touch. Thank you so much for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

Jen W. said...

Fantastic! A perfect sentiment for this challenge and that red Nestie is gorgeous!

Jenny said...

The perfect stamp for the challenge this week, love the cut out sentiment :)
Jenny x

Vicky Hayes said...

I love the gorgeously red smile and I love the way you highlighted the word 'smile' too. I really feel for Julie - smiling is such a part of life and she must feel that it'll be a long time before she can smile properly again.

Michele Gross said...

Perfect sentiment :) Really great image and a lovely CAS card! Thanks for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Jaclyn Miller said...

Love the red and white. Such a fun way to do your great sentiment. Thank you so much for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...