Monday 24 October 2011

Dots before my eyes ....

... I do try to have interesting titles, but sometimes they're just silly!!!  Anyway, if you've seen this week's Less is More - LIM38 challenge you already know where this post is going.  The Ladies Chrissie and Mandi have a recipe for us this week, our card needs to be clean and simple (of course), but must feature

POLKA DOTS

I decided that this challenge would be perfect for my Swiss Dots folder (and I'm sure many of the LIMettes have thought the same) but it is just perfect.  But I wanted more polka dots - and I was surprised to find that I don't actually have much paper with polka dots.  So I surfed the net and found that you can "try before you buy" on Papertrey - so I had a hunt through their papers and found the lovely Polka Dot Parade so I printed off a sheet of the swatches.  For the card layout, I used the lovely sketch from Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge - WMSC70 - designed by Kelly Schirmer, it's basic with so many possibilities.


I have gone for a very literal interpretation of the sketch - well, it works for me so well.  I layered some white card which I'd embossed with Swiss Dots, onto turquoise card.  I stamped a pretty flower onto a polka dot swatch and then cut it out.  I used Promakers to add some colour to the stamp details and finished off with a large gem to match.  For the sentiment label I stamped a pretty doily and then the greeting.  Clean and simple, and I'm really pleased with this.


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Afternoon Tea Sentiments, Dainty Doilies 2 Small; Chocolate Baroque - Big Flowers
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black; Stampin' Up! - Pool Party (one of the new in-colours)
Promarkers:  Moss, Soft Green
Accessories:  Polka Dot Parade - Papertrey (download); Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder, gem and card from stash

We had a very lazy day yesterday - Ben and Kathryn played on the X-box, I got into my craft room (yippee) and Jonathan went out for a photo shoot - it was lovely and relaxing.  And today I'm taking Kathryn to craft class for the morning and Ben plans to go out with his friends.  And I've got another skip being delivered today - smaller than the last one - but we still have a bit of sorting out to do - and I'm taking it a bit slower than the last couple of weeks.  No decorators today - just me slowly putting the house back together.  That's all for now.  I'm off to get read for class - see you later!

25 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

Great take on both challenges - it seems there is a lot of us combining the two this week. I love the elegant simplicity of yours echoed by the cool and calm colours.
Tara x

Anonymous said...

Morning:0) Great card, the colours you chose work well together, and the bling is perfect! Have a great day, Gay xx

G Peplow said...

Sorry that last comment was me, I was a bit hasty and sloppy with my clicking Gay x

Carol said...

Gorgeous card Deborah, your colours are perfect. Carol x

Jenny said...

Just love the embossed dots Deborah, they make the perfect bkgd to the sketch and your card :)
Jenny x

Kelly S. said...

So sweet, Deborah!I love that mix of doilies together and the swiss dot background is so perfect with this sketch!

Jenni's Jems said...

Love the colours that you have used ,great card x

Carla said...

that's great: one card for two challenges. love the colours! love from Holland!

Renee said...

Simply fabulous!
Love the polka dots...
and the layout works perfect for this CAS beauty!

JJ Bolton said...

Love that color combination Deborah! That awesome flower with the big gem is a real eye catcher!

Suze Bain said...

That's a fab flower Deborah and gorgeous colour combo. xx

Pauline said...

Very pretty Deb, love the swiss dots and the beautiful doilies, gorgeous colour combo too.

Beryl K said...

Lovely card Deborah, colours are great and I love your flower
Beryl x

Canonbury creations said...

Just scrolling through the LIM entries and your card stood out Deborah:) Lovely design
Val x

Chrissie said...

This is gorgeous Deborah, I love these colours!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Loli said...

Hola Deb, the colours of your card is beautiful!, i love your flower with this gem,well done Deb, congratulations for your lazy day:D.
A hug from Palma

Anonymous said...

I Love these colors and the style of the cards.
membership cards
Hotel Key Card

Mandi said...

Brilliant
Love the bling Deborah, very me!

Thank you
Mandi LIM

Vicky Hayes said...

Very pretty Deborah - the jewelled flower is gorgeous and the Pool Party colour just makes me drool! Sounds like you all had a lovely day!

Unknown said...

Beautiful Deborah and those colours are gorgeous.

Shirley said...

So far I've been able to stay away from Waltzing Mouse, but you are making it even more difficult. Love how you used the flowers again to make a very elegant card!!

Edna Morrisedie said...

The dots are cool! Great use of the sketch and I love the soft colour palette, thanks for playing along with the Mischief Makers this week!

Viv said...

Another fab card again Deborah, well done. I am still sorting the house too, a real pain isn't it :O) Viv xx

Rosemary said...

clever take on both challenges... a lovely, lovely card!!

Susan said...

I'm always impressed when someone can combine two challenges in one...LOVE that big flower...and I love that EF too...I use it all the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...