Friday 4 November 2011

Birthday - travel theme ....

... about a week ago I was asked by a friend if I could make a birthday card for her brother-in-law, fondly known as BIL!  Any excuse to make a card!  I asked if there was anything special she'd like on his card - and I was told that he'd spent his life travelling and had a fondness for trains. 

So, this is the card that I made.


The starting point for the card was this lovely vintage train from Joanna Sheen's Victorian CDs.  I printed it onto some satin finish photo paper and cut it out with my nesties.  As the train has a bright green engine I decided to cut a bright green mat and then layer them both onto a scalloped rectangle cut from the coordinating paper.  In my stash I have a stamp of an antique map of the world - just perfect for this card; inked it up with Versamark and then added some perfect pearls to give a hint of colour.  I added a touch of colour to the edge of the card with my distress inks and added a few more travel themed stamps.   I found my vertical greeting and used my stamp-a-ma-jig to position it correctly. 

Helen collected the card on Wednesday evening and she was delighted with it.  I just hope that BIL likes it too!

Stamps:  Creative Expressions - Travel; Papermania - Urban Travel Prints; Inkadinkadoo - Antique map; Magenta - Happy Birthday
Inks:  Distress - Old Paper, Antique Linen, Vintage Photo
Spellbinders:  Classic Rectangles Lg (S4-132) #4, Classic Rectangles Sm (S4-130) #5, Scalloped Rectangles Lg (S4-133) #5
Accessories:  Image and backing paper - Joanna Sheen Victorian CD; Card from stash

That's all for today.  Mum and I are off to the shops today and then out to lunch with the rest of the family - nice!

8 comments:

Pauline said...

Fab card Deborah, that vintage train image is beautiful, and your distressing and stamping are perfect for the background!

Stella said...

That vintage image is gorgeous and your choice of colors and distressing is perfect. As ususal :)
Hugs,
Stella

Stamps and Paper said...

Great card Deborah and I am sure BIL will love it..

Anne

Paula (PEP) said...

A lovely example of combining stamping with the use of CD images. Love the way you picked out the green of the train for the matting layer.
Enjoy your day.
Paula (PEP)

Vicky Hayes said...

What a wonderful combination of elements Deborah!

Lana said...

So beautiful card Deb,I love the vintage image and background. So gorgeous!

Charmaine Stack said...

Deb, had to enlarge the photo to see all the wonderful details. What an exquisite card! I really like that vertical greeting stamp by Magenta; don't think I have seen it before. Well done!

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Deb! What a gorgeous card! Lovin' the vibrant train! What a wonderful birthday card for your BIL :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...