Thursday 10 November 2011

Trifold card ....

...  this week's challenge at Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge - WMSC72 is a trifold card - I haven't made one in years!  So, I decided to make a very special card for this challenge.


I like the idea of having so much card to decorate and decided to make a card for a 70th birthday.  Bert, my brother-in-law, celebrated his 70th birthday last Tuesday (8th).  And while I've already sent him a card - this one - I decided that as he's coming over for a visit on Saturday, I'd make an extra special one!

I got together several of my favourite WM sets and three of the new Stampin' Up! "in-colours" and set to work.  I started off by deciding what nestie to use to make the shape on the card top, settled on Labels 18 and proceeded to cut.  It took a while but was worth it.  I stamped the three panels to make different, but coordinating, backgrounds.  Next I used the largest Labels 18 nestie to cut base mats in coordinating card.  On the label for the front of the card I stamped, in Versamark, the lovely ornate image and embossed it with clear powder and added the age label in the centre.  For the two inner labels I cut and stamped two smaller labels in white - one on which I stamped the sentiment "It's Your Big Day" (which ties in with the card Bert has already had) and the other was left blank for us all to sign!  It was really fun to make this card and I look forward to giving it to Bert on Saturday!



Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Back in the Saddle, Free Spirit - Sentiments, Off Beat Backgrounds, Very Vintage Labels No 18, Vintage Circles Small, Way out West
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Pool Party, Lucky Limeade, Island Indigo
Spellbinders:  Labels 18 (S4-310) # 4 & 5, Standard Circles Lg (S4-114) #3
Accessories:  Clear embossing powder and card from stash

Sorry about the photo above - it was tough trying to get a decent picture, so grey today.  I've taken a detail photo of the first two labels and a photo of the card laid out flat - it's a bit brighter.

As you can tell, I didn't get chance to CASE another card for the SOAP CASE competition.  I decided to watch Frozen Planet instead.  It was absolutely brilliant.  Everything about the series is excellent, from David Attenborough's narration of the events to the filming of the wildlife and scenery.  If you haven't seen it, try to catch it on repeat or get the DVD when it comes out!

And that's all for this morning.  Mum and I are off to town for a bit of retail therapy this morning.  See you soon.

13 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Gorgeous card Deborah and love your colour combinatio

Anne

Jackie said...

A gorgeous card, I love the papers and colours and the shape is great :o)
Jackie xx

Pauline said...

This is beautiful Deborah, that label shape is gorgeous! Another thing to add to my list for Santa lol! Love the colours you used, and the different panels are lovely. Which stamp did you use for the woodgrain panel, it's wonderful, just gorgeous! Your uncle will adore it, and appreciate the time and effort you put in to make this a very special card.

Carla said...

what lovely and beautiful colors! love from Holland

Tara Cardwell said...

That's just gorgeous Deborah - I couldn't think of anything to make with that sketch - your idea is just brilliant!
Tara x

Vicky Hayes said...

I love it Deborah! I haven't made a tri-fold for ages either and you're inspiring me to have a go. The Frozen Planet is my favourite TV programme now that Downton Abbey has finished (until the 2 hour special on Christmas day!) We tape it and all sit around on Saturday evenings eating pizza while we watch it. Such a treat!

Kim S said...

What a great idea for a card and I love what you have done with it! The variety of papers is great, the labels, your use of sentiments - all very well done!

Sharron said...

Fabulous, Deborah--wonderful theme for your card! And that Labels die is a great choice. It looks so pretty on the tops and love how you used it for the panels as well.

Paula (PEP) said...

I like the way you've shaped the tops of your card panels to reflect the shape of your labels dies. I really thought that was patterned paper until I read the post & realised you'd stamped the backgrounds. Superbly effective in those colours.
Paula (PEP)

Jenny said...

Its brilliant Deborah, love the shaped top and the new SU colours are really great for a guys card:)
Trying to watch Frozen Planet but I find David Attenborough's voice to soothing and I end up watching the inside of my eyelids!! Lol
Jenny x

Renee said...

Fabulous Deb!
Those colors are spot on for a guy card...
love them!
And even though it's shaped...
still has a masculine feel...
fabby!
And Happy Birthday to your BIL!

Mynn xx said...

L-O-V-E this!!! The colors are gorgeous! :) Gonna have to make one of these--you've inspired me!

Kelly S. said...

Trying again, bad blogger! Love the colors on this, Deborah! The zigzag stamping and stripes are excellent together, and I love the beautiful frames in the center! This is a fun and snazzy card for a 70th birthday that will surely make the recipient smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...