Thursday 3 November 2011

Birthday greetings .....

... my Mum is coming to stay with us for a couple of weeks while Jonathan is away, and I'm off to collect her this morning.  As I'm going to Mum's place, she asked me to bring some cards with me - more than happy to oblige.  And Mum had a special request for a birthday card for her friend Cynthia - I was told to make it simple and elegant - and I hope that this card fits the bill.  I've used the wonderful autumnal colours from this week's Colour Q challenge - cQc109 and the layout from Clean & Simple Stamping - FTL164.


I think these colours are just fabulous.  I found some vanilla card in my stash - it has a lovely hammered finish - and used it to make the card base.  I decided to use the rich cherry cobbler as my main colour with the others as accents.  I cut a mat of cherry cobbler onto which I layered a piece of the cream card.  Next I used my favourite Spellbinders die - the Fleur de Lis Square (loving this at the moment) to cut the backing mat.  On some more of the cream card, which I'd already die cut, I randomly stamped some chrysanthemums and added some simple daisy like flowers.  I stamped the medium  and small sized solid chrysanthemums in cherry cobbler and fussy cut them out, layering them together with a pretty brad.  On a scrap of the cream card - I made a sentiment ribbon by stamping the greeting twice and layering it under the flower. 


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Big Blooms - Chrysanthemums, Frame-It, Pic-Nic Patterns
Inks:  Stampin' Up! - Soft Suede, Cherry Cobbler, Pumpkin Pie, Island Indigo
Spellbinders:  Fleur de Lis Squares (S4-318) #4, Standard Squares Sm (S4-128) #7
Accessories:  Card and brad from stash

I'm going to schedule a few posts as I'm going to be busy with Mum for the next couple of days.  See you soon.

18 comments:

Jackie said...

A beautiful card, wonderful colours, love that frame :o)
Jackie xx

Michelle said...

Deborah, your card is just beautiful! What great use of the colours.

Jenny said...

What a pretty card Deborah, your hands-tamped bkgd is fabulous :)
Jenny x

Tara Cardwell said...

You definately hit the simple and elegant requirements - I'm sure she'll love it.
Tara x

Pauline said...

Gorgeous card Deborah, you always rock this colour challenge, it's one I find tricky! Love these chrysanths stamped in these autumnal colours, and the little pop of blue is perfect!

Kim S said...

I love all the flowers in the background - you have done a fabulous job with those colors!

Cheryl said...

This is beautiful, Deb! I love all the stamps images together with the one red one popped on top, and the blue accent stamps are just right. The Fleur de Lis square frame and same color base layer make this one elegant creation! I love it! ~Hugs, Cheryl

Mynn xx said...

Oh, I think this definitely fits the bill--this is stunning! WONDERFUL use of the colors! :) Good luck with your mother!!! :)

LeAnne said...

This is simply stunning! Love that diecut mat! Thanks for playing with the CQC this week!

Stella said...

You did an amazing job for your mum and her friend will love it. Spot on the colors and your stamping is fabulous. A handmade beauty! Have a wonderful time with your mum!
Hugs,
Stella

Vicky Hayes said...

I love your stamped background in those colours Deborah and the ornate border works beautifully with it.

Paula (PEP) said...

Love the way you combined that frame with the leaf & flower stamp in the corner. Definitely elegant too.
Paula (PEP)

ksenchik30 said...

beautiful card, I really like a red fancy frame you added...

Unknown said...

Hi Deb! Very pretty! I love that stamped panel in the middle and the bold red frame. :) Thanks for playing at colourQ this week, I always love to see what you'll come up with! Have a great weekend! :)

Sylvia said...

Lovely card, Deborah! Great job with the colors. Thanks for joining us this week at the ColourQ.

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Love the chrysanthemums, especially the red one! And that frame just makes everything pop! I bet your mum loved this card!

kasia c. said...

This is so pretty! I love the background you created. :) Thanks for playing along with us at ColourQ this week!

Christina said...

Beautiful stamping, Deborah! I love that you kept the card base clean to really make the stamped pattern stand out, and the scroll frame is gorgeous. Thanks for joining us again at the ColourQ!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...