Tuesday 3 January 2012

St Luke's Challenge - New Year, New Start .....

.... and time for the new St Luke's Charity Card Challenge.  This month our theme is to give a new lease of life to something old, something tired, something destined for the bin!  It's time to get your thinking caps on and turn your something old/tired into something magical and give it a new start for 2012!


At first I wasn't sure what I was going to make for this challenge and then I realised that it was the perfect opportunity to recycle some of the Christmas "waste".  For my card I've used some of the cellophane wrappers from a tin of Quality Street (there are other chocolates available!!) and a bit of red textured foil wrapping paper. 

I started off by stamping the word "thanks" onto some white card and then very carefully (and slowly) cut out the inside of each letter.  On the reverse of the image I outlined each letter in turn and attached a small piece of the cellophane.  Fortunately between us we'd eaten all the chocolates so I had a whole rainbow of colours to use.  I used the mega oval nestie to cut out the word and layered the whole thing onto another plain white oval - which really makes the colours pop.  Finally I cut out the mat layer from the "waste" Christmas wrapping paper.  It's an ultra clean and simple card - but I think the cellophane letters look fab - a bit like jewels!!


Stamps:  Stampendous - Mega Thanks
Inks: Memento - Tuxedo Black
Spellbinders:  Mega Ovals (S5-023) #5, Mega Scalloped Ovals (S5-024) #5
Accessories:  Quality Street cellophane wrappers, scrap of old Christmas paper, card from stash

For more inspirational ideas on recycling/repurposing any old or tired items check out the team's blogs by clicking on the list below:


And I'd like to welcome Sylvie to the team!!   Don't forget, you can send your card (or cards) to St Luke's to go into the next sale - full details of where to send your cards can be found here.

Our prize this month is being donated by The Ribbon Girl - some fabulous yellow ribbons and bits - shame I can't win them!!!


I'm also submitting my card to the current Less is More - LIM47 challenge; Chrissie and Mandi want us to use only ONE word on the card - and I think this definitely qualifies.  I've recently discovered, via my blogging buddy Pauline, another challenge - DYSU Challenge.  The current challenge DYSU#52 is to use rainbow colours - again I think it qualifies!!


That's all for now.  See you again tomorrow!

19 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely bright coloured card Deborah and lovely recycling idea....

Anne

Tara Cardwell said...

I love your bright and vibrant take on the challenge Deborah - I'm off to eat my way through the quality street now so i can see what I can do with the wrappers........
Tara x

Jenny said...

That's some clever cutting Deborah and love the bright wrappers showing through the letters...funny how we had a similar idea!!
Jenny x

Gibmiss said...

Hi Deborah
Fabby card ...wonderful idea ....
Hugs sylvie
xx

Chrissie said...

This looks great Deborah what fab vibrant colours!
Thanks so much and a very Happy New Year to you and yours.
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Jackie said...

What a great idea, and so colourful too :o)
Jackie xx

A Consuming Passion said...

What a great idea and how good it looks Deborah!

Paula (PEP) said...

Brilliant idea with those wrappers & utterly effective.
Paula (PEP)

Pauline said...

A cracking card Deborah, perfect for this post Christmas season of "what did so and so get me again?"! With all the unwrapping flurry, I lose track of who got what for the kids, so I do a generic greeting inside of thanks for your lovely pressie!
My first post for DYSU is on Thursday, so I'm not commenting on entrants yet! Thanks for joining in the fun! There's also an Anything Goes theme at Charisma Cardz this week til tomorrow!

Lynne said...

Wow Deborah, this is fabulous. Those sweetie wrappers have such a wonderful sheen and you`re right, they do look like jewels.
Lynne xxx

WencheP said...

Fabulous card. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Deb Hickman said...

Love this card, what a great idea using pretty sweet wrappers. Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year.xxx

Basement Stamper said...

those cellophane letters look more than cool! Love it!

Mynn xx said...

What a wonderfully vibrant and cheerful card! Sorry to be MIA for a while--the holidays and the flu have had me laid up! Hope you have a fabulous 2012!

Unknown said...

Great card!! the typography. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up this week. Hugs, Joan

Vicky Hayes said...

Oh Deborah, your gorgeous card has brought back lovely memories of crafting 'stained glass' Christmas cards with my little ones! What a great idea for a challenge - I'm having a bit of think about this one!

Denise said...

Brilliant use of sweet wrappers - such patience cutting out the inside of the letters!! Gorgeous card.
Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week xx

Clare said...

Fabulous card, love the recycling! : )

Jen W. said...

Happy New Year, Deborah!
Love this colorful card and your fabulous use of Quality Street wrappers! Your careful cutting of those letters is amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...