Tuesday 24 January 2012

Christmas flowers ....

....  just a very quick post today, as I'm busy getting ready for Jonathan to come home on Thursday.  I had fun last night, and this card has been made for two challenges:



I decided to make a card featuring a poinsettia - just love these plants around the house at Christmas, they are always so beautiful.  I started off by stamping the medium sized poinsettia from WMS Big Blooms - Poinsettia set three times onto thick vellum; stamped in Versamark and heat embossed with detail white powder.  Around the edge of the card I stamped the more stylised poinsettia and leaves.  I cut a plain white mat (I did play around with another patterned layer, but it was far, far too busy) and attached it to the card.  I cut an ornate square frame for the vellum poinsettia and used the same card to make the sentiment label.  I added a touch of glitter to the centre of the poinsettia and two little red gems to the sentiment label.


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Big Blooms - Poinsettia, Compliments of the Season
Inks:  Versamark; Distress - Worn Lipstick, Peeled Paint, Spiced Marmalade
Spellbinders:  Fleur de Lis Squares (S4-318) #3, Fancy Tags (S4-235)
Accessories: Staedtler Ergosoft Pencils; Card and gems from stash

Trying to take a decent photo of this card was quite difficult.  The big picture above was taken with flash - so it has washed out the colour a bit, but at least the picture is sharp.  The close up of the poinsettia was without flash - and I think you can see the softness of the colours.  I used my new Staedtler Ergosoft pencils - they are so easy to use and blend beautifully.

I had a good day yesterday - craft class in the morning - always a good way to start the day.  And in the afternoon, I got a few baskets of washing done.  Of course, that means I've got a few baskets of ironing to do today!!!  My least favourite job!!  I'm not sure whether I'm going to get the chance to play in my craft room today - but I hope to have something to share on Wednesday.  Take care and see you Wednesday.


26 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Beautiful Christmas card Deborah....love your background

Anne

Jackie said...

A beautiful card, I love the poinsettia stamp :o)
Jackie xx

Paula (PEP) said...

I love the pink & green poinsettia matting layer that you made - I too love these flowers & the array of colours they come in. I seem to collect stamps with them too, especially Penny Black & CB!!
Have a good day & hope the ironing isn't too onerous.
Paula (PEP)

Vicky Hayes said...

Your softly coloured poinsettia is a real wow Deborah! Can't say ironing is near the top of my favourite chores list either!

Rocky said...

Pretty card, love that die set. I do my ironing while watching recorded craft programes, it makes a boring job inspirational.

Kelly S. said...

Oooo beautiful poinsettia, Deborah! I just love the coloring with the pencils, so soft and unique! Your stamped background is just perfect, too. Makes me want to get out my Christmas stamps again!

Jenny said...

I love how you chose to go with softer shades for the poinsettia and by stamping the bkgd you've got a perfect match base card :)
These overcast days are not so kind to photographing cards are they! The smaller photo shows the bling as well.
Jenny x

Stella said...

Woohoo non traditional Christmas colors. I LOVE this card!
Hugs!
X

Jeanne J. said...

Deborah, The poinsettia's are beautiful! I love the soft colors with the white embossed outline!

Pauline said...

This is fab Deborah! A great Christmas card with this fantastic poinsettia image! I love my ergo soft pencils, I think I love them more than my Promarkers! Such soft delicate colouring on the vellum, makes such a dreamy focal point!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

This is FABULOUS Deborah! Your poinsettia is so delicate with the white embossing and that wonderful pink tone! Great design!

Donna Mosley said...

Deberah, this is so beautiful. I love the very pretty poinsettia and fab design.

Donna x

M said...

This is fabulous - and so not what i was expecting when i saw the trigger images you posted! the colours work brilliantly and the depth on the flower is gorgeous. just brilliant! M x

Mistys Mum said...

What a lovely card deborah - love the muted colours.

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Deb! That Pointsettia looks stunning! Thanks for joining along with the WMSC :)

Mynn xx said...

Oh, this is GORGEOUS! I just love that poinsettia--and that it's pink! :) I also just adore the stamped background paper! Thank you for playing along again at 52CCT! :)

Vickie Z said...

Love the ornate frame and thinking I "need" those poinsettias!!!

Jen W. said...

Deborah, this is stunning! Love the "frame" of poinsettias you created around the edge of the card and your colouring on the central flower is gorgeous!

Ardyth said...

So pretty - love the softness of the colours!

Anonymous said...

beautiful flower!
Thank you for your comments on my blog

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Deb! Love the softly colored poinsettias!

LaurieJ said...

Your poinsettia is just divine! I love the white embossing on vellum. Makes me wonder why I haven't purchased that set yet!

Teresa Kline said...

wow, what an awesome card...luv this...thanks for playing along with us at the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge .....I am having a huge blog candy giveaway, check it out here...
http://paperieblooms.blogspot.com/2012/01/purge-blog-hop.html

enjoy *~*

Edna Morrisedie said...

The background looks great! Thanks for playing along with the Mischief Makers again this week!

Renee said...

Oh, Deb it's beautiful!
Love all the background stamping!
And you're already ahead for Christmas this year...
how fabby is that! :)

Sharron said...

Beautiful, Deborah! Your stamped background looks fantastic and I love the poinsettia done on vellum! The soft pencil coloring is so pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...