Thursday 5 January 2012

Some challenge cards ....

... gosh, we're having some awful weather here in North Wales.  The wind is blowing so hard that the hail is coming in almost horizontally!!!  So glad I'm in the warm. 

Anyway enough of that - I've got a couple of cards to share with you today.  The first one is a birthday card for my Aunty Sue.  I've used the lovely colours from this week's Colour Q - cQc118 challenge - soft and pretty colours.  I'm also entering this card into Flutter By Wednesday - FBW184 - where they have an open challenge, but the card must have either an angel, a fairy or a butterfly.  I've not played along with this challenge for a while, so it's nice to have something to share with them.


I don't have card or ink in cool caribbean or cameo coral, so I've matched as closely as possible.  I wanted a pretty floral card for Sue and, as luck would have it, I got the perfect stamp free with one of the craft magazines.  I stamped the image several times, cutting out the base layer with my nestie.  I've used a mixture of Promarkers and aquabrush to colour the image.  I've layered the flowers and some of the leaves - to give a little dimension.   I cut the ornate square from a piece of Pear Pizzazz card (don't have the ink, yet!!), but as it was a bit small I cut into equal quarters to make fancy corners!  I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to accurately position the sentiment, which was stamped in Cherry Cobbler and added a vellum butterfly.  Finally, I added a touch of sparkle by outlining the flourishes with a Sakura clear gel pen.


Stamps:  Flowers/butterfly - set free with Cardmaking & Papercraft;  Waltzingmouse - Say It With Style
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black; Stampin' Up! - Cherry Cobbler, Certainly Celery
Promarkers:  Pear Green (Pear Pizzazz), Salmon Pink (Cameo Coral), Duck Egg (Cool Caribbean), Crimson, Burgundy (Cherry Cobbler)
Spellbinders:  Standard Squares Lg (S4-126) #7, Fleur de Lis Squares (S4-318) #4
Accessories:  Stampin' Up! card - Pear Pizzazz, Card and vellum from stash; Sakura Stardust Gel Pen clear

The next card is my first Christmas card of 2012!!!!  Really, it's not to early to start on your cards.  I'm submitting this card to a new Challenge blog - 52 {Christmas} Card Throwdown, set up by Mynnette and Jacqueline.  For their first challenge the theme is "Anything Goes" - which is great!  This card was quick and easy to make, largely because I'd stamped and cut out the ornaments last year.  I randomly stamped snowflakes over the card base in two shades of pink.  Then, using my stamp-a-ma-jig, I decided where to stamp the pine cones and branch.  The ornament is made up of two layers, on the top I've stamped the sentiment "Santa Claus" and moving the top ornament around reveals a picture of Santa with a snowman.


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Santa's Coming to Town, Sewing Box Christmas, Festive Foliage, Vintage Ornaments
Inks: Memento - Tuxedo Black, Cottage Ivy, Rich Cocoa; Distress - Spun Sugar, Worn Lipstick
Spellbinders:  Plain Ovals Sm (S4-112) #3
Accessories:  DCWV - Pink Christmas papers; Stampin' Up! - filigree brad; Sakura Black Glaze gel pen; Santa image - Kanban; Card from stash

When you move the top ornament, this is what you see - I like this idea and might use it again on another card.


Well, that's all for now - I'm off to my craft room again for a while.  I've got to make a birthday card for my neice, and start to think about a card for Ben - he'll be 16 next week!!!  Did I mention the crazy weather we're having here in North Wales?  Well, now it's sunny and quite bright, but cold!!!!  See you soon.

22 comments:

Sasha said...

Two really lovely cards, Deborah. I like how you made your frame on first card, and your flower spray. Your Christmas card is gorgeous, a very clever idea with your bauble:)

Karen Petitt said...

Hi Deborah, Happy NY wishes to you and your family. Two lovely cards, love the fresh spring like colours of the top one. The Xmas card is lovely, and a nice surprise that there is a hidden section behind the bauble. I just adore pink snowflakes hugs Karen x

Tara Cardwell said...

Lovely cards Deborah - I love the hidden bit on the ornament - great idea. Will check out that blog as I am determined to only send handmade cards this year.....
Love the corners on the first one - I lengthened that die once but never again it was such a pain to do!
Tara x

Pauline said...

THese are two fab card Deb, I especially like your floral border, the colours are so pretty - you always rock this particular challenge. I may have to give it a go, you have inspired me!

Joyce said...

Two great cards. I love the flowers in the first card--and that die is amazing. I've never seen it before. The second card is so fun--I love cards with secret surprises.

Stamps and Paper said...

Two really lovely card Deborah...love the hidden picture in the second one.
Yes so glad we have our crafting to keep us busy in this awful weather

Anne

Lynn Mercurio said...

Both of your creations are fabulous. Love your springtime birthday card full of lovely flowers (so missing from my landscape right now). And it's NEVER too early to begin working on Christmas cards...getting ready to do a few myself. =) Your twisty design is so very clever for the peek-a-boo effect. Love it.

Jeanne J. said...

Deborah, Two great cards! Love the flowers and butterfly - they've got me thinking Spring. Clever use of the Spellbinders die - turning it into corners - looks AWESOME!! I also like the Christmas ornament with the clever swinging panel! Sounds like a great day to be creative!

Jacqueline said...

Deborah I love both your cards but thank you so much for joining in our first challenge at 52CCt with your gorgeous Christmas card - hope you will join in again - Jacqueline xx

Stella said...

You never cease to amaze me.....Both cards are jaw dropping gorgeous!
Hugs!
XX

Paula (PEP) said...

Sounds as if you're having similar weather to us - the trees are bending almost at a 45 degree angle. Love that first card - super with all the flowers & the butterfly. Shall investigate the Christmas Challenge - lovely idea with the hidden image.
Paula (PEP)

Danni said...

Very nice cards! Really like the first one, thank you for playing along with my flutter by challenge!

Mynn xx said...

Absolutely stunning work, Deb! LOVE both of these--that ornament card is GENIUS! Thank you so much for supporting our first challenge over at 52CCT! Hope to see you each week! :)

Archana Joshi said...

Superlike. Love them both. Thanks Deborah for your lovely comment on my blog and I am so happy that you joined my blog so.. welcome!

Jackie said...

Two gorgeous cards Deborah, I love the second one :o)
Thank goodness the rain and gales have gone from here this morning!
Jackie xx

Vicky Hayes said...

Wow Deborah! The floral card is beautiful and the Christmas card is a stunner - what a clever idea with the bauble!

Sylvia said...

Lovely card, Deborah! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week for the first challenge of 2012.

Jenny said...

Love how you used the colour combo Deborah, that freebie stamp is very pretty :) Thanks for the link to the new challenge...see if I can dig out the Christmas spirit again :)
Love the shapely bauble on your card and it opens up to...clever :)
Jenny x

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful projects Deb! Love the pretty flower garden with the butterfly fluttering about!

Anna said...

Great project! Love the peak a boo Santa! The corners on the card are fantastic. Thank you for joining us at Flutter By Wed.

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful cards both of them. Your four corner are so elegant.

Kathyk said...

Smashing - and a great start on your 2012 Christmas cards too!

Kathyk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...