Saturday 21 January 2012

St Luke's, Part II ....

... I'm rather late with my mid-month (late-month) card for our St Luke's Charity Card Challenge.  Our theme this month is to give a new lease of life to something that was originally destined for the bin!


My first card used the bright cellophane wrappers found around chocolates like Quality Street or Roses.  I'm pleased how it turned out but it did take a while.  In contrast my second card was a breeze - it took all of 20 minutes to make while I was waiting for dinner to cook last night!!


I have to come clean and tell you that the focal point of this card is an old Christmas card that I made in 2009.  It was meant to go to some friends of ours, but I found it tucked in one of the pockets of the suitcase that Jonathan took to the US!!  He forgot to post it in 2009, and rather than waste this card (which I quite like) I decided to make another card for this year's Christmas Collection.  So it's not strictly something that would have gone in the bin - hope you'll allow me this one :))

I started by cutting the front off the old card and rounding the corners.  I found some dark green card and printed paper in my stash to make a couple of mats.  I used my Martha Stewart punches to create the loopy border around the bottom layer and I added a touch of colour to the card base before attaching my new topper.

Hopefully, this will encourage you to try to upcycle some bits and bobs to make a card for St Luke's.  Don't forget we have a super prize for the winner of the challenge - some gorgeous ribbons kindly donated by The Ribbon Girl.  Looking forward to seeing what you make.


This is what my card was before the recycling treatment.  It was one of a series that I made - I had two in this bright red and one on blue.

That's all for now.  I'm off to check out a couple of my favourite challenges to see what they have in store for us this week - you all know them - Less is More and Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge.  Today is also my Mum's last full day with us so we're off out - mostly to go window shopping, but I'm sure we'll get a little something!!

Have a good weekend, and I'll be back soon.

8 comments:

Pauline said...

This is gorgeous, so festive! Is the poinsettia a stamp? It's beautiful, and a cracking card! Have a great weekend Deborah!

Stamps and Paper said...

A great bit of recycling Deborah for something the could have ended u p in the bin...a lovely new Christmas card

Anne

Paula (PEP) said...

Well rescued - that's 3 years of recycling.
Enjoy your day with the new challenges.
Paula (PEP)

Jenny said...

It still all counts as recycling Deb :) Love the bright colours and gold embossing.
Question is did the recipients wonder where there card had got too!!
Jenny x

Vicky Hayes said...

It's a definite recycle and always fun to re-invent old cards! Hope you had fun with your mum today.

Deborah Frings said...

Thank you Pauline - yes, the poinsettia is a stamp got it from my local craft shop a few years ago - it's bold and graphic, and I must play with it again!

Gibmiss said...

Hi Debbie
Fabulous take on the challenge ......
Hugs sylvie
xxx

Karen B. said...

Beautiful card, I like how you've switched it out of the norm and made the flower green and your background red. How pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...