Sunday 22 January 2012

Penguins and patterns .....

.... it's been busy today.  This morning we took Mum to Manchester Airport to go home.  It's very wild and windy here and our journey was a bit rough.  The high winds also meant that Mum's flight was delayed - but it went off at 1.00pm and Mum should now be home with her brother and sister-in-law.  I'm missing her already, but we did have fun.

Sunday is when I normally post a card for CR84FN - but this week I completely forgot to make a card - silly me!!  There's still time to enter CR84FN46 - although it is closing a little earlier this week on Wednesday 25th.

Instead I've a couple of cards to share with you.  My first card is for CAS-ual Fridays - CFC36.  The theme is "Penguin suits" - the challenge started on Friday 20th which was National Penguin Awareness Day!!!  Who knew??  The DT would like us to make a CAS card with only black and white - not even the tiniest amount of any other colour!!


I know that my card is not in the least bit original, but it is fun!!  I knew that I had a penguin stamp in my stash.  I cut a mat in black card onto which I stamped the sentiment in Versamark and embossed with detail white powder.  I stamped my cute penguin in black Versafine onto white card and heat embossed with clear powder.  Then I carefully cut it out.  I coloured the image with a black Sakura Glaze gel pen - it has a lovely sheen.  I also added some white flock to the hat bobble, trim and mittens, as well as a bit of sparkle to the snow.  I like it!!


Stamps:  Papermania - Christmas Stamps
Inks:  Versamark; Versafine - Onyx Black
Accessories:  Sakura Black Glaze pen; Glitter, flock and card from stash

My second card is for two challenges.  The first is CASE Study Challenge - CSC74 and the second for Do You Stack Up? - DYSU55.  January's muse at CASE Study is Jen Rzasa and her inspiration card is just fab. And over at DYSU the team would like us to use patterns - can be patterned papers or pattens you've made yourself.



I have to admit that I wasn't at all sure what I was going to do with Jen's inspiration card.  Then I realised that I always need thank you cards, so I took the word "thanks" and used patterned papers to paper piece the word.


I got some really lovely papers free with one of the craft magazines (but I can't remember which one!), I decided they'd be perfect for this challenge.  I started off by stamping the word thanks onto some striped paper featuring all these gorgeous colours and pattens, then I carefully cut out each letter.  I used some coordinating paper to mat onto the card base.  I stamped the mega word onto the card, and used my stamp-a-ma-jig to align the script stamps and then simply attached each letter in turn.


Stamps:  Stampendous - Mega Thanks
Inks:  Versafine - Onyx Black; Memento - Tuxedo Black
Accessories:  Papers free with magazine; Clear embossing powder and card from stash

Yesterday Jonathan went to have a look at some houses - my favourite part of the process, but I'm having to do it long-distance!!!  One of the properties was a complete bust.  Two stood out as very nice - I think I could happily live in either of them.  However, we are still at the waiting stage and won't know for certain about the US move until later this month or early February!!!

Before I go - I'd like to welcome Darnell Knauss - my newest follower.  That's all for now - I'm off to sort out tea for me and Kathryn.  See you tomorrow!


23 comments:

Aileen said...

Love your little penguin, so cute. Your Thanks card is lovely too. x

Tara Cardwell said...

The penguin is so cute, and I love how you've coloured him with glaze.

The thanks is fabby!
Tara x

Karen M said...

Gorgeous cards! Kx

Donna Mosley said...

Two fab cards Deborah, I love the penguin, amazing fussy cutting.

Donna x

Jenny said...

The penguin card is a cutie and very fitting for the challenge! Great Thanks card...love the patterned letters :)
Jenny x

Paula (PEP) said...

both of these are fun in their own ways & I must say the black & white penguin is quite a treat - I love playing about with blacks & whites in different textures.
Take care with all that needs to be done before the US becomes clear - not an easy time without Jonathan & trying to find somewhere to live as well.
Paula (PEP)

Sally said...

two smashing cards Deborah & such s cute little pnguin on your CAS card.
Sally x

Maureen said...

Those papers are perfect!! LOVE the burst of colour against kraft :)

Pauline said...

Two fabulous cards Deborah, Love the cool penguin, and the paper pieced Thanks card. Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week :-)

Jackie said...

Two fabulous cards, I love the penguin one :o)
Jackie xx

Stamps and Paper said...

Love your little penguin card he's so cute...fab little thank you card also

Anne

Jen W. said...

That penguin image is so sweet and your take on the CASE study card is brilliant! Love those paper pieced letters!

WencheP said...

Fabulous card. Thanks for joining us at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

joy said...

Love both of your cards! The penguin is super cute! And, the paper pieced thanks is a great idea for using up all the papers we collect, isn't it?? Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

Love your takes on those challenges! The penguins are super sweet!!!

Marlena M. said...

Great cards, Deborah! I love your penguin card-so cute. Your paper piecing is meticulous and effective. ;)

Unknown said...

Sweet cards - I think the free papers came with the Simply Homemade magazine and they were beautiful.

Marta said...

Your Thanks card is really great! Clean and simple. I love it.

Vicky Hayes said...

I love your literal interpretation of penguin awareness day Deborah - what a cute little Christmas card! And the 'thanks' card is gorgeous with the letters cut out of the DP. Fingers crossed for you for the US move!

Mynn xx said...

Love them both! That penguin is a doll and I LOVE your paper pieced "THANKS"!!! :) Sorry to be MIA lately--trying to catch on up my challenge blog duties! :)

Clare said...

Two great cards, love the sweet penguin and paper pieced thanks! thanks for joining us at CASE Study this week! : )

Dana said...

Of course it's original! It's so much fun! So happy you played along with CAS-ual Friday this week!

Laurie said...

Oh so cute! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...