Thursday 12 January 2012

One card for two challenges ....

... I've been doing quite well recently, combining a couple of challenges in one card.  And this card is no exception - and it is a special card too.  I used the current sketch layout from Just Us Girls - JUGS118 and for colour inspiration I've used the photo from For Your Inspiration - FYI#21.











It's Ben's 16th birthday tomorrow - the years have simply flown by!!  My mum asked me to make Ben a special card from her - and this is it.  I know I'm safe putting it up on my Blog today because Ben won't see it here!  Ben has told me that he likes it when I make cards with layers - which the JUGS sketch has a plenty!  The soft browns and touch of green and blue in the inspiration photo gave me the colour scheme.  There is blue (check out the flag) in the picture. 

In my stash I found some "For Him" papers and the pattern on this sheet sort of echos the pattern on the roof.  I distressed the edge of the paper with Vintage Photo and stamped the grid and faux stitching.  I also distressed the edge of the card with Faded Jeans.  I cut the smaller shapes from some coordinating paper, distressed them and stamped some images from my favourite set - Free Spirit Boy.  For the focal image I used a couple of nesties to cut the blue and white layers.  On the white circle I stamped the circles in Versamark, heat embossed and then added colour with distress inks.   I positioned the sentiment with my stamp-a-ma-jig, and used a couple of arrows cut from coordinating papers to highlight it.  I finished off by added a few metallic looking cogs made by sticking clear holographic peel offs onto the scrap paper and cutting it all out!    I think Ben will be really pleased with this card and the contents too!



Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Free Spirit Boy, Off Beat Backgrounds;  Hobby Art - Happy Birthday
Inks:  Distress - Vintage Photo, Faded Jeans; Kaleidcolor - Cappuccino Delight
Spellbinders:   Pinking Circles Sm (S4-172) #5, Labels 12 (S4-247) #1, Labels 3 (S4-189) #5
Accessories:  Papermania - For Him; Sprocket peel offs and card from stash

I've noticed from my counter that I've got another new follower - hello and welcome to Olga - so glad you joined me!  I managed to get one of the Monster High Dolls for Kathryn's friend, not quite the one that Kathryn suggested, but the only one left in the area!  It seems these dolls are rather popular.  Tonight Kathryn will be making a birthday card for her friend - hopefully, I'll be able to share that with you tomorrow.   See you then!

16 comments:

Pauline said...

This is a great card for your son Deborah, I agree the years do fly by!

Paula (PEP) said...

Well done with the Monster hunt. Love your interpretation of the photo - definitely got the colours there....... I think he'll like this too - though I've not met him, but going by what you've said.
Paula (PEP)

Tara Cardwell said...

Fabulous use of pattern, layers and texture Deborah. Hope Ben has a great birthday.
Tara
x

Vicky Hayes said...

I like your choice of pattern and colour on this card Deborah! I had to look up Monster Dolls and it all looks rather fun!

A Consuming Passion said...

I think Ben will love his card! Hope you all have a great day!
By the way Love the new look blog........am I really late saying that?

Sara Mac said...

Great card Deb! Love the touch of faux stitching and the gears. Thanks for joining us again at FYI.

Mona Pendleton said...

Happy Birthday to Ben! Fab masculine card Deb! Loving' all the gears!

Jenny said...

Awesome card for a young lad, love the colours :)
So you had Ben roughly when I had James, he'll be sixteen next Weds!!
Doesn't time fly *sigh*
Jenny x

Jen W. said...

Fabulous guy card - I'm sure Ben will love it!

Lisa Kind said...

What a great card for a young man! This is so cool! Great colors and use of the sketch! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

AKiteFlier said...

Wonderful card for a young man - well done! Thanks for getting sketchy with JUGs this week

Stella said...

Your son will love it. It's a perfect masculine card for a young man :)
have a lovely weekend!
Hugs!
XX

Vicki Dutcher said...

Love the hexagon bg -- awesome take from the inspiration! Thanks for playing in FYI's challenge!

StephC said...

Lovely card Deb! I like the masculine look to it, and how you used the photo to accomplish it. Great job!! :)

Hugs!
Steph

Michelle said...

Great card, Deborah! I had to laugh when you mentioned that flag in the picture, LOL! I thought, "Flag? What flag?", and sure enough, it is there. :-) Thanks for joining us again at FYI!

dstandard said...

Great card! Thanks for playing at FYI this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...