Saturday 21 January 2012

Butterfly birthday ....

.... hi, back for my second post today.  I've got a card for three challenges:



After checking out Less is More this morning, we headed into Chester for a bit of fun time.  We did a bit of window shopping and Kathryn has come home with two new friends from Build-a-Bear; Scarlett (a bright red Hello Kitty) and Justice (the Victoria Justice bear) - Kathryn is delighted, and I'm so pleased that she's still my little girl!!

While in town I had plenty of time to think about what I wanted to make.  I wanted to have a flower aperture with a butterfly on the edge as though flying towards the flowers inside the card.  It was much easier to make then I expected.  I cut a piece of white card to mount on the card base, onto which I stamped the butterfly.  Then I positioned my Spellbinder die and lightly pencilled where I needed to cut.  Then I carefully cut around the butterfly, extending the cuts down the wings to allow me to slip the die back.  Then I positioned the mat onto the card base and ran them through the Grand Calibur.  It's important to run the base and mat through together to get the aperture position correct.


I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to work out the correct position for the flowers inside the card, stamped them in black Versafine and embossed with clear powder.  I used my watercolour pencils to colour the flowers and the butterfly.  I found some ribbon with pretty rainbow polka dots in my stash and wrapped a piece around the mat.  I used dimensional tape to attach the mat to the card.  I stamped another butterfly onto card which was heat embossed with clear powder to give it a shine and then coloured and attached - you can see the layered butterfly above.  Finally, I attached a simple sentiment.


Stamps:  Kanban - All Occasions - Flowers; Spring Stamps - Butterfly (free with Crafts Beautiful)
Inks:  Versafine - Onyx Black
Spellbinders:  Dahlia (S4-191) #5, Fancy Tags (S4-235)
Accessories:  Staedler Aquarell Pencils; Ribbon and card from stash

I'm really pleased with the way this card has turned out - but it was tough trying to get a decent photo showing the depth and the aperture.  I think you can see from this photo just how well it shows the butterfly going towards the flowers!!!

I have to say that I'm so glad we got home when we did.  The wind is so strong, at one point while we were in Chester, Mum was really struggling to walk into the wind!  She's not a big lady and the wind was forcing her backwards!!  We've also had lots of rain - it's a dull, dismal day outside, but warm, cosy and fun inside!

I had a chat with Jonathan this morning - he's off looking at some houses today in and around the Novi/Northville/Plymouth area.  I selected a few places from some photos that I've seen, but Jonathan gets to do the fun bit - actually visiting and have a look round!!!  I'll find out later tonight what Jonathan thinks.  Bye for now - back again tomorrow!

42 comments:

M said...

absolutely gorgeous Deborah! You must be feeling pleased with yourself! M x

Diane said...

Beautiful card, the colours are wonderful, very eye catching design.
Diane

Dolly Daydreams said...

Deboroah, what a pretty card, your stamping is gorgeous and those colours are amazing, love this beauty.

Marie

Kimberley said...

Beautiful colours and colouring - well done.

Anna said...

Beautiful card! Love that butterfly! Thank you for sharing with us at Flutter By Wed.

Loli said...

Hola Deborah, thank you for your comment and for the prize, i'm really touched:Dthank you.
Fantastic card Deborah, very bright colours and the ribbon with the same colours it's a great idea, beautiful butterfly,well done Deborah!!!
A warm hug from Palma.

Meredith MacRitchie said...

This looks awesome Deborah!! I love this technique, but I think I've only done it once... I always forget to try it!

Pauline said...

Fabulous Deborah!! I love the way you incorporated all the rainbow colours into your CAS card! Love the butterfly on the aperture frame, a great effect!

Stamps and Paper said...

What a delightful card Deborah..beautiful colours..

Anne

Mandi said...

Pretty card Deborah, I really like the dimension
Your trip out sounds like fun

Thanks very much
mandi
"Less is More"

Monika/Buzsy said...

Oh, how pretty! What a fabulous way of capturing those colors!

Suzilou said...

Very pretty card and love the colours :)

Chrissie said...

What a lot of wonderfully vibrant colour Deborah!
Super job!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Scrapmate said...

What a colourful card.

Victoria said...

This is gorgeous and such a clever idea!

Vicky Hayes said...

This is so pretty Deborah, it looks as if the flowers have been embroidered!

Beryl K said...

Beautiful card Deborah. I love the bold colours of the flowers and butterfly.
Beryl x

Donna Mosley said...

Stunning card Deborah, love the gorgeous butterfly.

Donna x

Ohneilly said...

Stunning card! The bright flowers against the White is gorgeous! Xx

Jenny said...

I can see the dimension Deborah and love the idea of the butterfly on it's way to the pretty flowers :)
Great combination of challenges!
House hunting sounds exciting...not sure I'd trust my hubby with the initial viewings tho :)
Jenny x

Paula (PEP) said...

The butterfly really looks as if she is approaching the flowers & I love the way you have given her dimension with the layering. The colours are just striking. The ribbon picks out the colours of the flowers & butterfly beautifully too. I have the same ribbon both in white & black & it is so useful with that rainbow of colours. Here you've used it beautifully.
Paula (PEP)

Amanda R said...

Very pretty! I like the simplicity of the card and the bold coloring of the image, nicely done. Thanks for joining in this week at Flutterby Wednesdays!

Sally said...

Hi Deborah, a lovely colouful design & a clever aperture. Sounds like you had the same type of weather that we had today. Chilly.
Sally x

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Hi Deborah, Thanks for visiting my blog today. I really like your take on the Runway Inspired Challenge. Your card is beautiful.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Beautiful color.

Jennifer Rzasa said...

I love the butterfly popping out of the frame. Thanks for playing along with the Runway Inspired Challenge!

Deborah Frings said...

Hi Jenny - I've just discovered the reply feature!! Jonathan's doing my favourite bit of house hunting, but I do get to see his photos of the houses. Long distance house hunting is fun :)

Jackie said...

What a beautiful card, love the colours :o)
Jackie xx

Karen M said...

Your card is really pretty with the flowers and butterfly! Hugs x x

Suzanne C said...

Lovely butterfly and your window card is sweet!

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Deborah I wanted to come and thank you for your lovely comment you left on my blog, I have been looking at your work and this creation in particular caught my eye, it is stunning, the aperture, the flowers and butterfly are quie beautiful.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Heather Rogers said...

That is so sweet Deborah. I love the window card and beautiful butterfly. :)
Hugs~

Jenni's Jems said...

This is so pretty well worth all the effort x

Anne said...

Hi Deb this is just so beautiful, love your bright cheerful flowers
Anne
x

Anna-Karin said...

What a beautiful colorful card!

Aileen said...

Really pretty colourful card. I love the way you've made your aperture with the butterfly heading towards those flowers. x

Linby said...

Such a pretty card. Linbyx

Lynne said...

Really pretty card Deborah, I love those flowers.
Lynne xxx

Susan said...

Looks like you've done a little blog update...it looks different. LOVE your card! Looks like a lot of work, but you ended up with a FAB card!! You asked me about CASEing one of my cards...You go for it! I'd be honored!

Cheryl said...

Deborah, Your card is beautiful! Love the addition of the butterfly.

Lisa A. said...

Very pretty, Deborah!! LOVE all the pretty colors against the white...beautiful...and the butterfly...just beautiful and perfect on your card)!!

suzARTe said...

Beautiful card, the butterfly against the bright flowers looks lovely

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...