Friday 13 January 2012

Birthday wishes and thanks .....

....  I've got two cards to share with you today.  The first I made for Ben's 16th birthday - today!!!  He was such a sweet little baby and now he's a hulking great 6 foot tall teenager!!  Oh! where has the time gone?

Gosh, I'd forgotten just how blonde Ben was when he was little.  I think he was about 2 years old in this picture.  And I've got no idea why he's looking so sad!! 

The one of the right was taken by Ben on his mobile last week when he'd had his hair cut.  I like the short cut - at least I can see his face!!

Ben is so grown up now - I don't think he understands that he'll always be my baby - no matter how old he gets!

I think I've told you that Ben likes cards with lots of layers - so that's what I made for him.  I've used inspiration photo from this week's Runway Inspired - RIC#3 for the colours, and the layout is the current sketch from Clean 'n' Simple - FTL172.



I've gone for a completely black and white card - although I was tempted to put in a touch of red (she's got red lips).  I folded some black card in half to make a large A5 card.  I cut a mat from plain white card and stamped the chevron pattern in black and heat embossed it with clear powder.  Then I used the largest lattice rectangle nestie to make the bottom layer of the topper.  I made a couple of mats - one in dark grey metallic card and the top in white.  At the bottom of this layer I stamped the chevrons and birthday sentiment.  At the top I wound some black twine around the card.  Finally, I attached the top layer made up of a couple of circles with Ben's age as the feature!  I hope Ben likes it.



Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Off Beat Backgrounds; Stampin' Up! - Occasional Greetings
Inks:  Versafine - Onyx Black; Distress - Black Soot
Spellbinders:  Lacey Circles (S4-293) #3, Standard Circles Lg (S4-114) #4, Lattice Rectangles (S4-319) #4 (I made the rectangle longer)
Accessories:  Cuttlebug - Olivia Alphabet; Card from stash

Edited:  I spoke to Ben this evening - he was absolutely delighted with both his cards (and the surprised inside the one from Nanna).  I checked to make sure that there were enough layers - and Ben told me that his mates thought that the "16" one was "Cool!".  So, that's a great result.


I've made the next card for a special blog buddy - Charmaine Stack of Tweedcurtain Productions.  I've used the current Waltzingmouse Sketch - WMSC79 for the layout and the colours (yummy colours!) are from this week's Colour Q - cQc119


I started off by stamping the daisy trellis pattern in grey directly onto the card base.  I cut a broad piece of pink card and shadow stamped the trellis pattern again.  Next I cut a piece of melon mambo and used this pretty border punch to make the bottom layer.  I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to position the thanks sentiment correctly.  To make the topper I cut the bottom layer in pumpkin pie and the next in white to which I added some colour.   I stamped the rose onto watercolour paper, using versafine ink and clear embossing.  Then I wet the images and added drops of Stampin' Up! reinkers allowing the colours to blend.  Once dry, I cut the roses out and layered them onto the topper base.


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Pic-Nic Patterns, Say It Loud, Roses In Bloom
Inks:  Stampin' Up! - Melon Mambo, Pretty in Pink, Pumpkin Pie; Memento - London Fog
Spellbinders:  Octagons Lg (S4-185) #4, Scalloped Octagons Lg (S4-187) #3
Accessories:  EK border punch; SU card

I had a spare rose left after making the card, so I made a matching envelope.

This is going to Charmaine to say thank you so much for the wonderful comment she left on the "Nice List" competition over at Waltzingmouse just before Christmas.  This is what Charmaine had to say:

"I really enjoy WMS, the forum, the gallery, the amazing design team. I have been made aware of so many wonderful people as a result of the community that has sprung up around Claire. One person stands out, though - a fellow fan. Deb Frings is always ready with a sweet, kind word, a generous compliment, and a willingness to cheer a fellow stamper on. I enjoy her blog and all her creations, most of which feature WMS in some fashion. The WMS world is a bit better place for her enthusiastic support. So ths year, my Nice List has a shining star atop it named Deb. :-) 19 December 2011 20:54 "
Thank you Charmaine - you made my day! 

And with that, I'll say bye for now - see you all again tomorrow.

27 comments:

Paula (PEP) said...

Terrific both of them but it is Ben's that ticks all my boxes; just love that chevron stamping & the way it 'continues' over your layers. The lattice border is brilliant with it too. I know what you mean about WMS for I'm the same with Chocolate Baroque & also love the forum there. I'm not surprised about Charmaine's comment - you've been on my blog buddy list for over a year now.
Paula (PEP)

Deb Hickman said...

Happy Birthday ,Ben. What a fab card, I love monochrome. Second card is gorgeous, what a beautiful border, it's so ornate.xxx

Tara Cardwell said...

Great cards Deborah - I love the one for Ben - it's so striking. Hope he likes it and has a lovely birthday.

The comment is so nice - what a lovely thing for her to do and for you to read. You are so good at commenting though, with all the stuff you do I really don't know how you find the time.......

Tara

Anonymous said...

Hope your son has a great birthday! Also, that is a wonderful interpretation of the runway inspiration challenge! Great job!

Edna Morrisedie said...

I love how you built up the flower feature and the colour is great too, thanks for playing along with the Mischief Makers again this week!

Kim S said...

I had a a new 16 year old just a couple of weeks ago! It is hard to come up with a card for those big 6-footers who still have little boys in them - but you have done it brilliantly - it's special without being frilly!

Archana said...

Congratulations on 16th birthday.
Your both cards are beautiful. Love these borders and the square frame.

Vicky Hayes said...

So fab to see the photos of Cool Nowadays Ben and Angelic 2-year old Ben! Hope he has a lovely birthday and I'm sure he'll love his card. I love your flower card too - the flower is gorgeous - must give that re-inker technique another go! I'm so pleased that Charmaine left such a lovely comment on the 'nice list' - you are a bit of a marvel Deborah and we should tell you so more often!

Vickie Z said...

Both are wonderful!!! Love the black/white for your son....so hard to make guy cards and a teenager to boot!!! Your friend will love the second card....wonderful use of the sketch and colors and that border is fabulous!!!

Stamps and Paper said...

Two lovely card Deborah...the black and white one stunning...and the floral one is very pretty

Anne

Jen Cuthbertson said...

I love both of these, Deborah! The black and white is a perfect take on the sketch and your son will love it! And, the coloring on those roses is lovely! Great job!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love the black and white one!

Sylvia said...

Lovely card, Deborah! Your bloom is so pretty! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

Lisa Elton said...

This is pretty Deborah, what a lovely bloom!!

Lisa Elton said...

Ooops almost forgot...HAPPY 16th BIRTHDAY Ben!!!

Mistys Mum said...

HI Deborah
I just love that card you made for Ben - it's dramatic, fresh & some nice "frills" eithout being frilly. No wonder Ben liked it. That chevron edgong is just stunning.

Joanne Leddy said...

Oh my goodness, please don't tell me my 11 year old will be a 16 year old boy someday! Slow down, Father Time!
Love the chevron card, Deborah ... it's super cool for a young man. And Happy Birthday Ben!

Jeanne J. said...

Happy Birthday to BEN!!! Love the masculine card you made for him with the chevron pattern! Looks like a winner to me too (my little man is 16 also)! Your WMSC is great too! Love the bright colored flower and how it pops off the page - great to warm us up on a cold winter day!

Lenet said...

I love both cards! The black and white is just right vfor a 16 year old boy!
Thanks for joining us at Wmsc

Mynn xx said...

Fabulous cards, as always, Deb! Kids grow up way too quickly...glad you have a son who loves your cards--they're amazing! :) Happy birthday to your "baby"!

Jen W. said...

Love the way you framed the 16 on Ben's card and the colouring on your gorgeous flower. :)

And congrats on making the Nice List - a well deserved honour!

Mona Pendleton said...

Happy Birthday to Ben! What wonderful photos and beautiful cards Deb! Love the black and white Chevron pattern and the gorgeous blossom! Thanks for playing along with the WMSC :)

Jenny said...

I love them both Deborah but Ben's card is so striking...everything about it is wonderful, especially the chevrons continuing onto the mat!
Such a lovely comment and so completely true, I'd just love to know how you fit crafting and commenting into your busy days...have you found bottled time???
Jenny x

Kara said...

love your card and matching envelope!! thanks for joining us at the ColourQ!!

Stella said...

Both cards are jaw dropping gorgeous and I LOVE the way you colored the rose in the 2nd card.Happy birthday for your son ( and you). Yes they grow up way too fast....
Hugs!
XX

Tracey McNeely said...

Love your cards, asnd Happy birthday to Ben. my Ben turned 17 this week and I posted a oh so hard to make masulin boys card on my blog too.

Jennifer Rzasa said...

I love both cards, especially the one made for our challenge! I'm glad it got the stamp of approval from his friends too :) Thanks so much for playing along with the Runway Inspired Challenge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...