Sunday 9 March 2014

Playtime Sunday ....

... Good evening all!  Hope you've all had a super weekend. I've had a really fun, crafty time.  Yesterday I was at a  couple of work shops run by Amy Flowers - a really talented artist who is also a really super teacher.

Our first class - Watercolour and the Rubber Stamp 202 - built on a previous class (which I missed).  We explored different techniques to use with water colour paints. The one involved painting watercolour paper with a flat wash of one colour, adding another colour and then putting cling wrap on top and allowing it to dry.  Once dried, we picked a rubber stamp, inked it up, stamped the image and added some more watercolour for definition.

Dragonfly - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

The background was not at all what I expected, but I really like the pool like feel.  So I picked the dragonfly stamp, inked up with a blue versafine pad and added a touch more colour.  I think I'm going to add a little Twinkling H2O to the wings - after all, dragonfly wings shimmer!

Next we played with salt and watercolour paints.  We used both table salt and rock salt.  The rock salt take away much more colour than the table salt, but this is a technique I'll have to play with a bit more to get it right.  Here's what I made, still a work in progress as I will be adding a sentiment.

Figures - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Our next class entitled Layer Cake Collage was lots of fun.  I had a large canvas (10" × 10") which was covered with tissue paper and some very light washes of acrylic paints.  On self-adhesive canvas I traced out a bird, some feathers and circles and I painted them with acrylic paints in bold colours.  The final stage involved adding some design paper, the canvas images and then adding dimension with pan pastels and some metallic acrylic paint.  Here's my canvas:

French Bird - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

I'm really pleased how this turned out.  So much so, that I might have another go at home on my own!!  Below is a picture of this canvas with a couple of pieces that I made last year in Amy's classes - the larger picture at the back uses bees wax and the smaller one is a faux bees wax finish.

Triptych - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Today, Jonathan, Kathry and I went to a photo shoot.  Andrea, our model, is a really super young women.  She's lovely to look at and has a great relationship with a camera!  Here's just one of the photos I took of her today - I took nearly 400 photos in all!  I'll go through them later this week and pick out the ones to edit.  I'll post a link when they're done.

Andrea - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Don't you love it when the clocks go forward?  It's almost 7.00pm and still light!  I have to admit that I love it!  Anyway, that's all for now.  See you soon.

signature

5 comments:

Stamps and Paper said...

Fabulous cards and amazing backgrounds I've heard of using rock salt and it's certainly very effective

Anne

sandie said...

Great cards Deborah, what fun techniques. And wow what a great photo, looking forward to seeing the others x

Deepti said...

These are
So beautiful n artsy :)

A Consuming Passion said...

Sounds like you're taking a couple of great classes Deborah! Your watercolour projects are beautiful and your photography skills look pretty good too! Go you!

Stella said...

I am impressed by your talents, skills and projects. They are gorgeous. And also a very talented photographer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...