Friday 31 December 2010

End of the year ....

... and I know that many others have said it too, but the year really has flown by.  It's been a busy year for us all - for me particularly memorable.  I turned 50 in June (but only feel about 35!), I graduated from the Open University with a First Class honours in Chemistry and, best of all, I've had the pleasure of being with my family. 

Today was no exception - we went out to the shops and bought some frames.  Then at home we framed some of Jonathan's photos, follwed by a fun family lunch.  Then this afternoon we played Buzz on the PS3 - a silly music game (I was never going to win!!).  Jonathan played on WOW (World of Warcraft), Kathryn on her new Sims game, Ben with his mates and me - in my craft room!!  Great fun.

So the product of this afternoon's playtime are a couple of challenge cards.  I've made cards for this week's Just Add Ink challenge - it's a fun one - the theme is "Just Add Summer" and for Clean & Simple - FTL121 (see sketch).  I've also made a card based on  the JAI48 sketch - I missed the deadline for this challenge, but really like the layout so I played with it.


FTL121

JAI48 - the one I missed















The first card to show you is the one for Just Add Ink - JAI49.  The theme - Just Add Summer - which is nice as I think I've seen enough Christmas cards for a while.  It's only a small card - 3" x 3" - but it's perfect for the image I have.  One of my favourite companies - Pink Petticoat - the flip-flops are coloured with Sakura pens - glaze and souffle.  The greeting is reminscent of holiday postcards and I thought it went with the picture perfectly.  I distressed the edge of the card.



Image:  Pink Petticoat
Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Frame It
Inks: Distress - Dried Marigold, Spiced Marmalade; Memento - Tangelo

The next card is based on the JAI48 sketch shown above - sadly I missed the challenge deadline - Christmas got in the way !!  I turned the sketch on its side and made a thank you card; I need quite a few of them.  The border was stenciled when I first joined my craft class about 3 years ago - it's been in my stash box since then!! 



Stamps:  Inkadinkadoo - Everyday Expressions
Paper:  Papermania - Inspirations Warm Tones
Inks:  Versafine - Onyx Black
Accessories:  Sticky ribbon by Anita's

My final challenge card for today is also a thank you card based on the FTL121 sketch.  I decided to turn this sketch on its side too - worked better for the embellishment.  The rose was made at craft class a few months ago.  I stamped the image on watercolour paper, embossed it with detail gold (it was a bit patchy).  Next I wet the image and added dye inks and allowed the ink to flow where it would.  The result was very pleasing - a soft, tonal effect.  I've added some gold glamour dust to the centre of the flower to help disguise the patchy embossing!!  Rather pleased with this one.



Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Frame-It, Roses in Bloom
Paper:  Papermania - Inspirations Warm Tones
Accessories:  Anita's sticky ribbon; Martha Stewart border punch

That's all for this evening.  We are going to have a quiet family in for New Year's Eve - we're going to have a Dr Who marathon session.  Ben bought us the boxed set for Christmas - we huge fans, as you can probably tell!!

Whatever you're planning for this evening - have a great time.  Enjoy, be safe and have fun.  Wishing you all a very

Happy New Year

7 comments:

Paula (PEP) said...

Brilliant with the First Class Honours. I too turned 50! Love the last one here - interesting technique with the dye inks. We're staying in too. Russell Crowe with us! Enjoy Dr Who & all the best for 2011. Thanks for Followers info too.
Paula (PEP)

Jackie said...

Congratulations on the 1st class honours, my daughter got hers in 2009 at the age of 45 :o)
Beautiful cards, all of them.
Happy New year to you too :o)
Jackie xx

Susan (peebsmama) said...

I like the bright colors on your flip flop card. Your sketch cards are really pretty.

Susan Hogan said...

Lovely cards Deb - and a wonderful atmosphere to work in as well by the sounds of it! What is a Whovian festival?

Bronwyn Eastley said...

A cute little card for the Summer challenge at Just Add Ink. I love the free-drawn border.

Patrice said...

Those 'summer' jandals are too cute. Lovely little summery card. Thanks for playing with us over at Just Add Ink.

Janelle said...

Beautiful rose on the FTL121 card! Very pretty card all the way around!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...