Thursday 18 October 2012

Sent with love .....

.... at Christmas time.  I've made this card for two challenges:


Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Nordic Winter, Candy Jar Christmas, Candy Jar Christmas Fillers
Inks: Memento - Tuxedo Black, Rich Cocoa; Staz-on - Jet Black; Distress - Festive Berries
Accessories:  Clear embossing powder; Acetate and card from stash


When I saw this sketch I immediately thought of these little gingerbread kids - not a clue why, but I thought they'd make a good Christmas card.  Then when I saw the inspiration photo from the Runway challenge with kraft, red and cream, I had to go with the idea.  I started off by stamping, in Versamark, three gingerbread kids and heat embossing them with clear powder and then cutting them out.  I stamped the jar directly onto the card base and again on some acetate (used Staz-on for this).  I cut out the acetate jar leaving a couple of tabs at the side, and then very carefully cut down the sides of the jar on the card with my blade and pushed the tabs in.  The result was exactly what I wanted - a dimensional jar!  Before attaching the acetate jar I stamped the bunch of gingerbread kids on some cream card, coloured them with Promarkers, added some white frosting and cut them out.  I made a polka dot lid for the jar, which has obviously fallen off, as the kids are climbing the card!  I finished off the card with a pretty panel beneath the jar and a sentiment.
I took another photo of the card to show the dimension in the jar.  This turned out really well and was very easy to do.  

Yesterday, I had another go at editing some of my photos with Lightroom - it really is very easy.  Last weekend we went into to Northville to check out the skeletons that decorate the town - click here to see the photos in Flickr.  

That's all for now - I'm off to school for the PTA meeting this morning.  See you soon.


16 comments:

Carla said...

this is a very nice Xmas card. You want to eat the cookies..... Love from Holland.

Jeanne J. said...

I love that acetate jar - I think you achieved the 3-D look you were hoping for. It looks like glass!! Very original and clever Deborah!

Teresa Kline said...

oh my, so very clever, I luv how you have the cute gingerbread men coming out of the jar...so sweeet!

enjoy *~*

Kelly S. said...

We have 3 escapees, yikes! Are they going to bust their friends loose now? Hope not, they look delicious, heeee! This is so adorable, Deborah. Love that the jar really looks like it's made out of glass!

Vickie Z said...

Totally love the acetate jar and the flaps/tags and xacto/knife cutting... will be filing in my little brain cells...love it!!! Used the same set for my WMS weekly card but, not sure I'm going to get it done and posted! Love this!

Tracey McNeely said...

The gingerbread cookies are just fantastic! The Nordic Winter strip along the bottom is perfect.

Mona Pendleton said...

So cute Deb! Love the little gingerbread peeps and the red polka dot lid!

Buffy said...

Super card Debs. The acetate jar is great. Love your colour scheme it really works well. Don't you just adore those little gingerbread men. Mine are just waiting to be stamped.

Hugs Buffy x

Karin Åkesdotter said...

What a fun and sweet take on our sketch this week! LOVE your gingerbread men and great design!
Thanks so much for playing with us at WMSC, hugs, Karin

Anne-Elise said...

Oh, these gingerbread men are so sweet and cute! Love the acetate jar and the red polka dot lid, too! Fab work! Have a great weekend!

Marybeth said...

Oh my gosh your jar idea is genius! Such a creative design Deborah! Adorable card and loving your jar so much!

Renee said...

Love, love, love that jar!!
And such an adorably fun card with the little gingies...
that incredible border...
and the colors are perfect for this!
Fabulous Deborah! :)

Charmaine Stack said...

Well, you get the Clever Crafter of the Week award, Deb. What a wonderful jar technique. Thanks for sharing how you did it. And I just got that set in m lat WMS shipment so now the cogs are turning! Cute card for the sketch this week.

Gretchen Wilson said...

Hi - love the gingerbread jar. Great job.

Gretchen Wilson said...

Just looked at your pictures from Northville, what a hoot. Some many imaginative people in that town.

Jennifer Rzasa said...

I love the Nordic-inspired strip across the middle of your card, and those sweet gingerbread men! So glad you could join us on the Runway!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...