Monday 22 October 2012

Halloween Greetings ....

.... Good afternoon - it's been a busy morning today.  I was in and out of school by 8.30am today!  The school is collecting for Civic Concern and there's a bit of internal competition between the grades - currently 6th Grade are leading!!  But I did manage to get into my craft room and I've made a card for this week's Play Date Cafe Challenge - PDC154.  They are celebrating their third anniversary this week and have chosen the most gorgeous colours - really rich and warm.


Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Cicely at Halloween, Midnight Feast
Inks: Distress - Ripe Persimmon, Festive Berries, Seedless Preserves, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot; Staz-on - Jet Black
Dies: Die-namics - Skyline Border
Accessories: Card from stock, White Pigment Pen


These colours just shouted sunset sky to me!  So I've had a go at blending my distress inks to create a night sky as it darkens and the stars start to come out.  Only in my sky, there's a witch about too!  I started with the lightest shade of Ripe Persimmon, moving onto Festive Berries, Seedless Preserves and Chipped Sapphire.  Then I cut out the silhouette skyline and used the negative as a stencil to create a city.  I finished off with a simple sentiment and some "stars".

I found it a bit hard to blend the inks and I'm not sure whether that's because I need to improve my blending technique or may be change the paper stock to something that allows the ink to move a bit more!

It's been a gorgeous day here - the temperatures have gone back up to 20°C (68°F) and we're expecting it to be warmer in the next couple of days.  I think this must be the last gasp of summer - and I'm really enjoying it!  That's all for now - see you tomorrow!

26 comments:

Unknown said...

This is just gorgeous! I think the blending looks great, although I know how frustrating it can be when your paper seems to be working against you. The cityscape with the witch flying over is such a great scene!

Stamps and Paper said...

Just fabulous Deborah great colours

Anne

Jeanne J. said...

This is perfect Deborah! Love the skyline you created - absolutely genious! The colors are so pretty and wow! Spot on lady! I Love this!

Ardyth said...

This is fantastic -you've really captured the glow of those colours!

Lyndal said...

Gorgeous scene Deborah - FAB card :)

Buffy said...

Absolutely stunning!! Fabulous scenery....just brill!!

Buffy x

A Consuming Passion said...

WOW!!!! What a fabulous card Deborah........such a beautiful scene and those colours are perfection!

Jenny said...

I luuurve how you've inked the sky and created the cityscape at the withching hour :0)
Jenny x

Connie Mercer said...

Super cool!! love this!! Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC!!!

Marybeth said...

I think you blended perfectly! Wow, what a wonderful card! You nailed the photo! Great job Deborah!

LindaS said...

your card keept catching my eyes at the PDCC - the colors and city looks amazing.

Rachel said...

this really is beautiful. you've done a lovely job with the colors and the city scape is amazing! Thanks for joining us in the Play Date Cafe!
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

Jen Cuthbertson said...

Oh, I love this, Deborah! That background is amazing and I love the silhouette of the witch and the skyline! Super job and I'm so glad you played along with us at PDCC this week!

Mona Pendleton said...

What a Spooktacular card Deb! Love the eerie background you created! So creative!

~amy~ said...

Such a wonderfully inked card! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

Veronica Z said...

Wow, your card is fabulous! I love the cityscape and the witch on her broom. So creative! Thank you for playing along with us at The Play Date Cafe!

kingstonmama said...

Beautiful inking! Perfect use of the colors. :0 ann

maria f. said...

Yippie for you Miss Cup o the Week! Beautiful, glowing night sky.
On another note, glad to hear you are enjoying some MI "Indian Summer" as we call it. Did you get to see some good "color"? Oh how I miss that foliage.

Virginia L. said...

Woohoo!! Congrats on your BIG win over PDCC!! What a masterpiece, Deborah! A well-deserved honor!

Claire said...

Fab card Deborah. Love to see someone I recognize win a biggie! Many congrats!

Basement Stamper said...

Congratulations on winning, this card is beautiful. I love the background on this. Stunning!

Kelly Griglione said...

What an amazing scene you created! The scale of your witch is just perfect. This would be great to frame and put out with your Halloween decor!

Anni said...

This is brilliant! Love the cityscape!
Congrats!
Anni

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Congrats on cup of the week! And I can see why!!! This card is wonderful! Just love the sky! You did a fabulous job!

lynda said...

Congrats on winning at PDCC! I had to visit here & tell you after seeing your stunning card!

Katherine said...

OH I love this! I hunted for a Halloween city scene and felt so lucky to find this wonderful card! I want to feature your card for Trendy Tuesday article for the blog at Paper Crafters Library. You can ck out the blog here: http://blog.papercrafterslibrary.com/ The image of your project will credit you and link back to your blog as well. If you do not wish to be featured for this article, just let me know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...