Saturday 20 October 2012

Birthday boy ....

..... Good morning, I've a couple of cards to share with you today.  The first is my birthday card for Charlie who is 4 years old today.  Charlie is a huge Lightening McQueen fan (main character in the Disney movie Cars).  Charlie wants to drive his own red car, so that's what I made for him.


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Half Pint Heroes, Vintage Ornaments, Cicely at Halloween; MFT - Vanity Licence Plate
Inks:  Distress - Antique Linen; Memento - Tuxedo Black; SU - Soft Suede
Spellbinders: Circles Sm (S4-116) #7, Pinking Circles Lg (S4-170) #6
Accessories: MFT - Licence Plate die; Design Paper - We Are Memory Keepers - Travelight (free with Simply Cards & Papercraft), Card from stash


I used this week's My Favourite Things Wednesday Sketch Challenge - MFTWSC94 for the layout.  I turned the sketch on its side as it worked better for me.  I inked the edges of the card to soften it somewhat and cut some panels from the Travelight pad.  The focal image was made from two Spellbinder die cuts - I thought the pinking circle would be just right for a boy and the map seemed appropriate for a car card!!  I stamped the car onto white card, coloured it with Promarkers (thanks to Bonnie Sharp - I stole "borrowed" her highlights) cut it out and glued it to the map.   Charlie has red hair, so it seemed totally appropriate to colour the little guy's hair red too!  I used the Vanity Licence Plate die to make the birthday greeting and used the numbers to make the "age" star in the corner.

Kathryn told me that she really liked this card, but that it was probably a bit old for Charlie!!!  She's right, it is, but I enjoyed making it.  And, to be fair, Charlie will be far more interested in his birthday presents :)  I decided to make another card, this time it would be for Charlie from Kathryn.   I used the layout from this week's {Freshly Made} Sketches - FMS57.



Papers: Dovecraft - Birthday Papers
Spellbinders: Reverse Wonky Rectangles (S4-307) #4
Accessories:  Lightening McQueen Image from Internet, Red Ribbon and card from stash

This was really quick and easy to make.  I used two of the papers from the Dovecraft set and applied a bright red ribbon to cover the join.  The Lightening McQueen image was downloaded from the Internet, cut out with a Spellbinder die and applied with dimensional tape.  As the image is a download, I'm not submitting it to the challenge.  But I will be using this sketch again - it's so easy to use!

That's all for now.  I have to finish wrapping Charlie's presents and then we're off out to his party.  Should be a fun party.  See you soon.

4 comments:

Ardyth said...

I love how you made all those elements work together to make a perfect card for Charlie, even if 4 is a little young to appreciate the design choices! lol!

Stamps and Paper said...

Two great card Deborah...my grandson would love the Cars one...

Anne

Vicky Hayes said...

He will love them both of course and will focus only on Lightning McQueen! Vicky x

Buffy said...

Great cards Debs. 1st one is my favourite but both are excellent

Buf xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...