Friday 8 April 2011

Sympathy in red ...

....  I've been feeling a bit rough this morning, but I was able to play in my craft room before my headache became too bad!  I've had another go at card and I've combined two challenges.  The OLW challenge from Susan at Simplicity which is to make a sympathy card that does not feature a tree or flower, and the Less Is More challenge which is to use a touch of red in the card.  A lot of the inspiration for this card comes from seeing Karen's LIM9 card which features a beautiful flower and gave me the idea.  Here's my card:




I really liked the effect of text around the image and I remembered this lovely cross that I have in my stamp stash, which has only seen ink once before!!  So this card has fulfilled another resolution to use much neglected stamps ;)  I started off by looking for a nice shape into which I could stamp the image and text.  Then I masked the card and using my trusty stamp-a-ma-jig I stamped the cross in black.  Next I masked the cross and reinked the stamp with red and stamped the image again - the cross has a very subtle red hint.  Leaving the mask in place, I inked up the large text stamp and stamped over the whole image.  I very carefully removed all the masks.  Then I stamped a really simple "with sympathy" sentiment - and just as I lifted the stamp it slipped!!  Darn!!  One smudged sentiment.  So, sorry Susan, it's not quite one layer, as I had to rescue the card.  I applied a simple black ribbon on to which I attached a plain oval sentiment.  Result - I'm really pleased with this.

Stamps:  Papermania - PMA10058 (Cross); Stampin' Up! - En Francais
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black, London Fog, Lady Bug
Accessories:  Card, sentiment, ribbon and oval shape from stash

Now that I've posted this, I'm off to bed to have a sleep - my head is thumping!! 

16 comments:

Susan said...

Deborah, this is very nice. I love the idea of the text around the image too! I've done a card like that before, so maybe I'll give it another try!

Mandi said...

Hi Deborah
A lovely card for such a touching subject
Thanks so much
mandi
"Less is more"

Chrissie said...

Great card Deborah, for a very sad occasion!Thanks for another super submission!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Pauline said...

Oh dear, I know what the thumping heads' like! I hope you feel better soon.

A great card for the most difficult of times in one's life, I really like the cross shape from this stamp. xxx

Tricia Williams said...

Wonderful card, love all the laying of your stamps. Very clever :O)

Lynne said...

Super card Deborah for a sad occasion.Hope you feel better soon.
Lynne xxx

Paula (PEP) said...

I love all the masking & positioning & that hint of red on the black cross. Hope your head has improved by the time you read this.
Hopefully our telephone wires are now mended so I'll be back to my usual commenting routines.
Have a lovely weekend.
Paula (PEP)

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

Perfect for the occasion. i forgot i had this cross stamp. hope you feel better soon

Ali x

Marilyn (stampwithMJ) said...

Nice card! Hope you are feeling better.

Jackie said...

A beautiful card, very tasteful for a sad occasion :o)
Jackie xx

GinaA said...

This is a lovely card Deborah, and the red really accentuates the cross. You can tell how much work has gone into it.

Happy Inking
GinaA
xx x

Kim S said...

I love all the little details in this that come together for a perfect card!

Carol said...

Such a pretty card, Deborah! The subtle text and ribbon are such wonderful details to an elegant card.

kingstonmama said...

I really like the subtle text you've added behind the image. Very pretty card. Hope you're feeling better!

Stella said...

The addition of text behind the image is subtle and lovely. It makes you even more focus on the image that almost speaks for itself. Beautiful sympathy card!

Susan Raihala said...

LOVELY save! And the ribbon does a nice job of balancing the strong vertical of the cross. Fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...