Tuesday 26 April 2011

Shopping ....

... that's what Kathryn and I have done today - to be fair most of it was window shopping!!!  We started off early - always best to be out before it gets too hot.

I took Kathryn to the cinema to see Rio (in 3D) at the local PVR cinema at High Street Phoenix.  It was so cheap - 100 Rupees each - that's about £1.50 each - and we were in an air-conditioned cinema with the most amazing soft and comfortable seats.  I highly recommend the movie - it's bright, vibrant, funny, sad and happy - typical kids' movie - but good.   The one thing that is really strange about movies in India is that we don't have trailer before the main feature starts - no!!  About halfway through the movie it suddenly stops and we have adverts and a break to get popcorn and drinks!  Different strokes :)

After the film we decided to explore High Street Phoenix - it's a huge shopping centre with lots of very expensive European designer shops - Hugo Boss, Clarins, Chanel, Burberry - to name only a few, along side other slightly less expensive shops - Lush, Hamley's, The Body Shop, M & S - and some super local shops - Fabindia, Ashmina and Eco Corner.

I went into two very exclusive Indian dress shops, I can't remember the name of one, but it was just beautiful - the most magnificent saris and dresses. The other was Satya Paul - a big designer in India - check out his website - there are some stunning saris there.  I've linked directly to the women's wear section - I could spend hours looking at them!!  In the shop was a pink jewel encrusted wedding outfit - no picture on the web as it's exclusive to the shop - and it was stunning!!   It made me wish I that I was slim and rich :)))

I went into Ashmina and got myself a beautiful navy top - for wearing over trousers.  It's most plain, but has the most wonderful jewelled and embroidered detail at the neck.  And after that I went into a local stationery shop and bought some hand-made papers for making cards - they're lovely and you'll have to wait and see what I make with them.

And this afternoon has been great - Kathryn has been in the pool messing around and I've read my book - bliss!!



5 comments:

Paula (PEP) said...

Well - that was an interesting detour amongst the Saris. I cannot imagine wearing one for a wedding - it's just so different. Take care of yourselves midst the heat.
Paula (PEP)

Stella said...

I would look awful in a sari; due to my current size :)
I looked at the desingers' site; my oh my....fabulous!

Jen W. said...

Loving all your photos and stories from your trip, Deborah. Keep 'em coming! :)

Deborah Frings said...

I love the saris - they really are so beautiful and elegant, but I think you have to be slim to wear one!! And that rules them out for me!! :) Still I might get a Kurta!

Vicky Hayes said...

What an amazing time you're having Deborah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...