Monday 23 July 2012

Back in black .....

..... Good morning all - I hope you all had a super weekend.  It's been just glorious here in Northville - wall to wall blue skies, bright sunshine and hot!!  In my Saturday post I mentioned that I was attending a craft class at Stampeddler (my local shop).  The class was called "Molten Magic with Metallic FX" and it was taught by Lynell Harlow - owner and designer of Dreamweaver Stencils.

I have used Dreamweaver stencils with their embossing paste before, but I have to admit that I've not been entirely successful.  So having a class with the Lynell was an opportunity I couldn't miss.  Lynell demonstrated the application technique used with the embossing paste and then showed us how using a heat gun to speed up drying affected the powders and paste.  It was like magic and really did look like molten magic.

One of the pieces we made used black card as the base and this beautiful daisy pattern stencil.  This week's challenge at CAS-ual Fridays - CFC62 is to make a clean and simple design with a black card base.  I'm so pleased that I've been able to use some of the pieces made in my class - I actually made two cards, here's the first.


Stamps:  Hobby Art - Happy Birthday GR1853C
Inks: Versamark
Stencil: Dreamweaver - Daisy Background LX7014 (provided at the class)
Accessories:  Metallic FX mica powders (provided at the class); Gold card, Gold embossing powder and card from stash

The daisy stencil is very large and I cut it down and mounted it onto some gold card to make my card.  The finished image has a lovely texture and really pretty shimmer.  I decided to add a simple sentiment which I stamped in Versamark and then embossed with gold powder.  Clean, simple and, I think, elegant.

Below is a close up picture of the finished image - you can see the lovely bubbly texture that you get when you heat up the paste.  And here's a picture of Lynell demonstrating and finally, the graphic for this week's challenge.




That's all for now.  Kathryn starts her Summer Theatre Day Camp today at The Marquis Theatre in Northville.  The camp runs for two weeks and she has very full days starting at 8.30am and finishing at 3.00pm.  They do singing, dancing, acting, improvisation, games, stage movement, and get to put on a show for family at friends at the end of the two weeks.  Kathryn is really looking forward to it.  I'll be back later today with the other card that I made from the daisy stencil.  See you soon.

12 comments:

Ardyth said...

This is really cool - I love the shimmery colour against the black. Good for you for trying again at (what looks to be to me) a fussy technique. You rocked it!

Tara Cardwell said...

what great timing for the CASual challenge that you could put your lessons to good use. The card is simply stunning! How great to meet the product designer too - you'll be an expert for sure now (I bought some more stencils last Sunday as someone was demoing them at the show and even though I've had zero sucess using them before I bought anotehr 3!!! I know where to come now when it goes wrong for tips!)
Tara
x

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely card Deborah and fabulous card..I dont seem to have that much luck with stencils and paste pity your class wasn't nearer....

Anne

Pauline said...

Beautiful card made with these dreamweaver stencils Deborah, so pretty!

Donna Mosley said...

A really great card Deborah, love the technique you used.

donna x

Jenny said...

Wow Deborah...I really want to reach out and touch that texture!!! the colours look amazing on the black too..... what a fun and educational class you took :0)
Thanks for linking up to CASual Fridays :0)
Jenny x

Andrea M said...

This is stunning Deb! Truly amazing!

Sue Lelli said...

How FUN to take a class from her and learn how to master this technique! LOVE the shimmery embossed flowers and your gold sentiment!

Claire said...

These look fantastic Deborah - I think you may have just sold that embossing powder to me!

Evelyn said...

Deborah, the card is wonderful.
I am quite sad, that I was not able to attend one of those fantasitc workshops when I was in Northville. The shop is so beautyful and the girls are so nice in the Stempeddler.

Anonymous said...

This is sch a fabulous technique, it turned out beautifully! Rich in color and lots of texture, looks great on that black :) Thanks for playing this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

Suzanne said...

WOW Deborah - this is so stunning! I love this technique and will have to try it. The image is beautiful too. Thanks so very much for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...