Thursday 1 March 2012

St Luke's Challenge - Spring ....

.... Good morning all - what did you do with your spare day?  I had a great time playing in my craft room - well, not playing exactly, more tidying and sorting - but it was fun.  And now it's time for our new challenge at St Luke's Charity Card Challenge - and this month our theme is:

 "Spring into Spring!"  

It's certainly been feeling like spring here in North Wales - the sun has been shining, it's been warm enough to go without a coat (for a while), the evenings are getting longer and soon the clocks will go forward.  Oh yes, the flowers are looking gorgeous.  We'd like to see anything spring related on your card - flowers, animals, fresh spring colours, etc.

My card certainly has a Spring theme, but as it's also St David's Day today, you might notice a slightly Welsh theme too :)


There was only one choice of flower for my Spring card - it had to be a daffodil - the national flower of Wales.  The daffodil stamp was made by Docrafts a few years ago as a special limited edition to raise money for the Marie Curie Cancer Care Charity - they have a daffodil as part of their logo.  I stamped the image three times on plain white card.  I used my square nesties to cut out the bottom layer, and then careful cut out the card between the petals.  I colour all the images with Promarkers and then cut out the daffodil and trumpet areas and layered them.  I used the wonderful ornate square to cut out some dark green mirri card onto which I placed the daffodil stamp.  I threaded some thin red ribbon (thanks Vicky) behind the image and attached it all to my card.  I finished off with a simple greeting in Welsh - it simply means "Happy St David's Day!".  I found the dragon image on the Internet and created the text myself, cut it out with a nestie and added some colour!  This is going to Kathryn's teacher.

Stamps:  Papermania - Daffodil (Limited Edition - Marie Curie fund)
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black; Distress - Festive Berries
Spellbinders:  Fleur De Lis Squares (S4-318) #4, Standard Squares Sm (S4-128) #7, Labels 10 (S5-022) #1
Accessories:  Various Promarkers, SU red ribbon and card from stash

I couldn't stop with just this card - Kathryn's class actually has two teachers, so I had to make another.  Same theme Spring and St David's.  And this one owes thanks to several cards that I saw recently at the Waltzingmouse Blog Party - thanks to Anya, Laurie and Genevieve.


The daffodils were stamped, with some masking, along the bottom and then coloured with Promarkers.   I had to add a few spring insects.  The sentiment label is the same as the one on my square card, just made bigger - the joys of a PC!  I distressed this one with some green and added a mat layer in dark green foil card.


Stamps:  Waltzingmouse - Spring Baskets
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black; Distress - Shabby Shutters
Spellbinders:  Labels Fourteen (S4-290) # 4
Accessories:  Various Promarkers, SU red ribbon and card from stash


For more Spring time cards - check out the DT blogs - Tara, Lynne, Jenny, Anne and Sylvie.  We are looking forward to seeing your cards - and for some encouragement - we have a couple of prizes this month.

Our March winner will receive this wonderful set of stamps from my favourite company - Waltzingmouse Stamps - as well as a copy of the current edition of Papercrafts - a US magazine.

Finally, if you can spare your card (or some cards) then please send them to:

Charity Card Challenge, St Luke's Hospice
Little Common Lane
Sheffield, S11 9NE

That's all for now!  It's another busy day here at Chez Frings - more sorting, tidying and skipping!  Take care!

12 comments:

Sasha said...

Two super cards, Deborah. I remember the Docrafts daffodil...it looks splendid as the focal point on your card. Lots of lovely intricate colouring on both your cards. Love your Welsh dragons and sentiments, too.

Tara Cardwell said...

Ah, I should have been able to guess at the Welsh shouldn't I! The daffodil is perfect - they certainly say spring to me and are starting to pop their cheerful yellow heads throw the soil already. Wonder if they have them in the US? You'll have to tell us next year! Both cards are fab and lovely to give them to the teachers.
Tara x

Charmaine Stack said...

That 3D daffy is wonderful, Deborah! And the parade of daffs along the edge of that second card is so pretty. Yes, let's hurry Spring along- March is coming in like a lion here!

Mona Pendleton said...

Wonderful cards Deb! I love the 3D Daffodil!

Lynne said...

Brilliant Card Deborah. That daffodil is fabulous and a sure sign spring is on it`s way.
Lynne xxx

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely card Deborah it really does have a spring feel about it

Anne

Jenny said...

Happy St Davids day Deborah and what a pretty card, I love the 3D daffodil. You're second card is brilliant too, the row of daffs are just lovely nodding there heads in the sunshine :0)
Jenny x

Pauline said...

This is just gorgeous Deborah, so springy! Happy St. Davids Day to you, it also happens to be my MiL's birthday!

Paula (PEP) said...

Very effective both & love what you have done with all the layers & colours - certainly feels like spring with these. We've got sun here in the South too & now it's March maybe winter has gone.
Paula (PEP)

Vicky Hayes said...

What brilliant cards to celebrate St David's Day Deborah - I love them both! I'm glad you're finding time in all the busy-ness to relax a bit in your craft room.

Stella said...

Your beautiful colored daffodil and ornate square caught my eye. Your card is unique and of a beauty that I rarely see. Wow!

No spare day for me :) and looking forward to the weekend. I hardly have the time during the week for card making so Saturday I will spend a lot of hours in my craft room :)

Hugs!
XX

Cheryl said...

Wow, Deborah, this card just blew me away! It is gorgeous! Just look at all the beautiful details! And, I LOVE that dragon image and text that you created for both cards. Fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...