Thursday 24 September 2015

Watercolour Christmas ....

... Good afternoon everyone!  It's another fabulous day here in Northville.  We are so lucky to be enjoying a truly wonderful Indian summer!!  And instead of being outside, I spent this morning catching up with some videos from Watercolour for Cardmakers: Exploring Mediums.  It was such fun and has inspired me to have a go at this week's Merry Monday Challenge - MM#172 - to use watercolours.  Here's my card:

Holly Jolly Season - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Stamps: My Favourite Things - Grand Holiday Greetings; Stampin' Up! - Serene Snowflakes
Inks: Versafine - Onyx Black; Memento - London Fog
Accessories: White Lustre Card; SU Card - Black; Tim Holtz - Watercolour Paper; Watercolours; Gelatos


I have a love/hate relationship with watercolours.  I really love the watercolour effect, but I hate giving up control and the way the paper curls!!!  After watching most of the videos this morning, I had a go at creating a random watercolour background - based on Laura Bassen's video.

I cut a square panel of watercolour paper and taped it to a work surface.  I used a wide brush to wet the paper (and that's why there's a subtle green tint to the panel - it still had some paint in) and then applied some red, yellow and blue paint.  I spritzed on some more water and allowed the paints to bleed into each other.  I dried off the first layer and, as it was very pale, decided to add some more paint.  I really like the layered look this gives.  I made sure that the paper was totally dry, and then stamped a bold sentiment in black.  I layered the watercolour panel on black card and adhered it to the front of a square card.  On the inside I used another of my practise panels.  I used gelatos on this piece - colouring directly on the card, blending with my finger and then adding some water to get them to blend.  I tried to use some silver gelato on this, but it didn't work to well.  I finished the panel with some snowflakes (sadly discontinued) and added another greeting.

Holly Jolly Season inside - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

I'm actually very pleased how this turned out.  Taping the watercolour paper to the work surface really helps to reduce the paper curl, and then placing it under a pile of very heavy books helps too!!  I've enjoyed the videos and will have another play soon.

It's Homecoming & Spirit Week at Northville High School and this week the kids have been able to go to school in "fancy dress".  On Monday everyone went into school in pajamas!!!  Tuesday was Detroit Sports day - each year had a different team and wore that team's colours - Kat had Detroit Pistons - the basketball team and wore blue and red. Yesterday was Colour Day -  Freshmen had GREEN (my favourite colour) and the staff got to wear tie-dye!!  Today was The Seasons and the Freshmen had Spring.  The week finishes with everyone wearing black and orange during the day, and the Homecoming Football match in the evening - GO MUSTANGS!!!

Saturday is the day that Kat has really been looking forward to - it's the Homecoming Dance - I'll put up some pictures next week.

That's it for now - see you soon.

signature

10 comments:

Theresa's Studio said...

Love the colors in your card. Great water coloring!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Spotted your card on Merry Monday - love the watercolor effect behind your sentiment! So pretty!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Deborah beautiful card I love your gorgeous watercolouring!

Gaby said...

Lovely backgrounds!

Linda said...

Deborah, love your watercolored backgrounds. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

Nancy said...

So simple and elegant! Love your background!

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Perfect! Love your watercolouring!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Merry Monday.

Deanne :)

Bonnie said...

Gorgeous backgrounds, Deborah! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

Unknown said...

Beautiful watercoloring, Deborah!!!

Karen said...

That worked out beautifully! Gorgeous card!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...