Monday 10 June 2013

Father's Day ....

.... Hi - hope you all had a good weekend - we did!  A pool party on Saturday - taking lots of photos of models at play, and then yesterday a super walk in Maybury State Park (see below).  I really enjoyed the walk, but Kathryn really wasn't happy!!  She enjoyed the breakfast after though!

My card this morning is for Father's Day, for my father-in-law from Jonathan.  Sadly my step-father died 10 years ago - and I miss him still, but I still get to make two cards each year - the one for Jonathan will be posted later!!!  I used this week's Colour Q - cQc192 challenge for the colours - I think they are just perfect for a masculine card, and I'm also submitting it for Addicted to CAS - ATCAS14, where the cue word "Circles", and I think the monocles count:


Stamps: Waltzingmouse - USA 1776, My Kind of Guy, Man of the Hour
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Island Indigo, Certainly Celery, Soft Sky, Smoky Slate (substitute for Going Grey)
Dies: Spellbinders - Large Labels (S4-168) #4, Small Labels (S4-169) #5
Accessories:  SU Card - Island Indigo; White Lustre Card

I carried the bowler hat theme on inside the card, with little bowlers in the corners and a simple, but heartfelt sentiment, in a frame.  I really like the shadow effect on these sentiments!


This card is winging its way to the UK as I type and hopefully will get to my father-in-law on time!!  As an aside, the bowler hat stamp in this set always reminds me of paintings by Rene Magritte - bowler hats feature in many of his paintings.

As we were walking around the park yesterday, we kept finding signs about the Maybury Sanitorium, so I did a bit of searching on Tinternet!  I found out that the Maybury Sanitorium, opened in 1921 and closed in August 1969, was built as a place to treat those suffering from tuberculois.  It was named after William Maybury who built the place, sadly he died of TB in November 1931.  In 1971 Michigan Natural Resource Commission purchased the land and property from the city of Detroit, and the State Park officially opened in May 1975.  It's a wonderful park with lots of routes for walkers, horse riders and bike riders, lots of trees, open land and a fishing pond.  I'll be going again!!

That's all for now - only four more days before Kathryn and I fly to the UK - so much to do!!!  But I'm still going to find time to play in my craft room for a bit ;)  See you soon.

8 comments:

Tara Cardwell said...

I love your card - great repeat stamping for your background and fab colours.
Have fun getting ready for your trip - thanks for your card and itinerary - hope we get a chance to catch up in Doncaster.
Tara
x

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

A brilliant Father's Day card Deborah - thanks so much for joining us at ATCAS.
Sylvia x

Pauline said...

Fabulous Father's Day card Deb, I love the colours, and the fun design!

Renee said...

Love it!
All that fabulous background stamping...
and the perfect image! ;)
You're right...
the colors are perfect for it and I know he will appreciate and treasure it! :)

Sue Lelli said...

This card is FABULOUS and I think they do count as circles!

Marybeth said...

Love the inside and out! I love the embossed fame you used too! Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

What a great masculine card and just perfect for our challenge at ATCAS thanks so much for joining us and good luck.

Marie

Kim Heggins said...

Too darn cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...