Thursday 23 September 2010

One layer Wednesday ....

.... gosh, it's hard to make one layer cards.  Well, it is for me ;)  The Simplicity challenge this week was to make a one layer card with nature as the inspiration.  As usual, Susan, requested that embellishments be kept to a minimum.  I've amazed myself - I managed not one card, but three!!  For someone who finds no layers really difficult, I think that brilliant.  I'd be very interested to get some feedback on these cards.  I did find them extremely difficult and I don't think I could have managed at all without my stamp-a-ma-jig. 

All the cards are A6 in size and I've gone for plain white cards with no texture.  I bought some lovely botanical stamps some while ago, but haven't really used them much.  They are all very pretty and it was tough to decide which to use.  The one I decided on is like cow parsley and is very delicate.  The images aren't as clear as I'd like; I used Marvy Le Plume pens to colour and found that the ink is a bit too wet!!  I felt that a strong sentiment was needed to balance the images and found this one in my collection.  I thought that it would add some interest to make the words in script pop - so I used red.  I'm reasonably pleased with the result.

The next card is in landscape format.  I used the wonderful Stampendous Fantasy Tree - which I've used a lot in the past.  It's such a versatile image.  Here I've kept things really simple - and it was really hard not to add something to the tree - like flower soft.  I used Tim Holtz Distress ink in Tea Dye and added a very small greeting.  My husband likes this card the best of the three.

The last of the three is my favourite.  I cut a stencil on scrap card using the Spellbinders Labels 10 set - I think is was third one in.  I sponged the shape with Tim Holtz Distress Ink Tumbled Glass - which is just lovely.  Then I found my Stampendous Agapanthus stamp - one of my favourite summer flowers. It's such an elegant stamp.  I used my Marvy pens to colour this in dark green and turquoise blue and stamped over the panel.  I found a very clear and simple message - "thinking of you" - which means that the card could be used for any number of occasions.  As I said, I am most pleased with this one.

What do you think?  I'd love to get some feedback on these cards.  I found them much harder than my usual style and not an embellishment on any of them!

That's all for this evening.  Back again soon.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

What beautiful cards, especially the blue one.
Thank you so much for popping in and commenting on my cards and yes thank you, the lawn is very wet now :o)
Jackie xx

Susan said...

Decisions, decisions!! All three cards are beautiful, but I think perhaps the third card might be my favorite...although the tree is very appealing too. In fact, I think I need the stamps from both the second and third card! Awesome cards, Thanks so much for sharing all three!!

Chrissie said...

Lovely cards... all of them... don't think I could choose a favourite!
Chrissie

GinaA said...

The sentiment on the first card is lovely but I like the third one best as well. Very elegant

GinaA
x xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...