Tuesday 9 August 2011

Stars and spots ....

...  that's what appear on the two cards I'm sharing with you this morning.  The colours for both cards are from this week's challenge at The Play Date Cafe - PDCC93 - with the mouthwatering colours of watermelon, sorbet and lime - don't they sound just fabulous!!!  The second challenge that I've attempted is CAS-ual Fridays - where this week they want us to use "Glitzy Glue Dots" on a clean and simple design.














I nearly decided to skip the challenge at CAS-ual Fridays, but I didn't want to be beaten by something as simple as glue dots!!  The first objective was to get some glue dots as I don't use them at all.  The next was to come up with a half way decent design idea - and I'm not at all sure that I've done that!!  I've gone for a very simple random dot scheme using different size glue dots.  My main issue with the dots is that they aren't circular and when you press them onto the card they tend to lose their shape even more.  They are very sticky and the glitter stuck really well.  I added a simple transfer sentiment which goes with the twinkling glitter!


Accessories:  Glue Dots - 12mm, 6mm, 3mm; Martha Stewart Glitter - Cinnabar, Golden Beryl, Carnelian; Hot off the Press transfer; Card - 3" × 3"

As I had the glitter out, I decided to make another card for the Play Date Challenge - the colours are just so lush!!  I decided to use some lovely star stamps and use glitter to colour them in - but I've still kept to a fairly clean and simple design.


The lovely open shapes of the stars meant it was really easy to colour the images with glitter.  I used my glue pen for accuracy and did each colour in turn.  A really quick and easy and, I think, fun card!!

Stamps:  See-D's - You're the Star
Ink:  Memento - Tuxedo Black
Accessories:  Martha Stewart Glitter - Cinnabar, Golden Beryl, Carnelian; Card from stash

As we are childless this week, Jonathan and I were able to go out last night to the weekly Camera Club meeting which, in the summer, are held in a local pub.  Jonathan had a great time catching up with friends he hasn't seen for ages and they always make me very welcome too.   I've decided it's time to try and improve my photographic skills, so I'm going to join the club this September when the club restarts its normal meetings.  I'll have to organise a babysitter for Kathryn - but it should be fun!!

Today we're going to explore along the coast, stopping to take photos along the way and also visiting some of the local towns - I might even find a craft shop or two!!  Keep your fingers crossed for good weather.  See you later.

21 comments:

Pauline said...

Oh Deborah, you and johnathon must be enjoying your time together after your long separation! Have a wonderful Coastal walk.

I too have the same problems with glue dots, I use tweezers instead of my fingers as I can't bear the mess I get into! Then it's all scrumpled up! I do think American glue dots are a lot firmer, it may be to do with a hotter climate so they make them stronger for different countries. I don't know, but it's put me off this particular challenge this week!

Have a wonderful day! Xx

Pauline said...

Almost forgot to say, I prefer your second card! The stars are a lovely image and look great with the glitter stripes! Xx

Stella said...

Your glitter cards are a lovely and twinkling start of the day!
I use glue dots a lot but yes; they always loose their shape but they are perfect for flowers and tiny embellies. You were able to create some great glittered dots. Fab job!

I really love the 2nd card; just like Pauline. The stars are so lovely and turned out gorgoeous with the glitter.

Have alovely day together and I do hope you'll have good weather.
And enjoy the (craft) shopping too :)
Hugs!

anja curvers said...

Love your cards and thank you for your sweet comment on my card and I know the problem you describe that the dots aren't circular I just tried to bent them back but it's rather tricky. I use the glue dots all the time for button and smaal pieces never have used them with glitter.

Lorie a.k.a.The Peddler said...

Deborah: Both of your cards are very sweet and they made me smile.

Unknown said...

you've CAS and glitter look so easy. i struggle with both! lol thanks for visiting my blog and for leaving such a sweet comment. hope to see more of your creations - great cards! :)

Michelle said...

I love both cards! The star card is my fav! Glue dots can be very uncooperative...I think that is why I haven't played along! But your post has inspired me to do so...thanks!

Julia Aston said...

what a fun use of glue dots! love all the glittery shimmer on your pretty cards today Deborah!

Laurel Beard said...

What fun! I am loving that star card! :) I can see all the detail that went into both cards! :)

Ruby said...

I didn't even attempt that challenge! Love the design idea of your first one and the stars on your second one are really fun! Thanks for playing along with us at The Play Date Cafe this week!

Rita W said...

Love all the sparkles!

Tara Cardwell said...

Numbers are really down at CASual this week, so I think it put a lot of people off - well done you for going out and buying some. After my messy disaster with them, I won't be using them in this way anymore - they are very good for sticking stuff down though as they are so strong.
I think the second card is more succesful, but that's just because the glue dots don't really behave how you wanted them to!
Hope you're having a great day in the sunshine.
Tara x

*Alison* said...

WOW!! :) this is wonderful.. I love that you made it into a christmas card.. how fun! great job with the challenge :) HUGS

Buffy said...

Fab work Debs

Marlena M. said...

Your stars are wonderful! Lovely, playful cards. ;)

Monika/Buzsy said...

Deborah, love the sparkle on both. The stars look awesome!

Jenny said...

You've done a great job Deborah, these are certainly glittery and I love the randomness of your design :)
I just haven't even attempted it...I don't do glitter much and as you say our glue dots are not the same as the US ones!
The camera club sounds great, they can be quite 'clicky' but your local one sounds great fun :)
Jenny x

Paula (PEP) said...

Don't thnik I'd ever have thought of using glue dots for the basis of a design - I do use them but only for sticking the odd awkward beast - my original singles packs of 3 sizes purchased way back in 2008 are still going strong. Well done with the challenge but I much prefer the second one with the stars. There is something about not being beaten by a challenge I agree!
Hope you had a lovely day.
Paula (PEP)

Jinny Newlin said...

Super fun! LOVE all those gorgeous pops of shine, Deb! Great idea! Thanks so much for joining us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

Vicky Hayes said...

These are great and I especially like the glittery star card. I love my glue dots for adding embellishments - they are SO strong!

Laurie said...

Love all of that gorgeous glitter! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...