Tuesday 9 August 2011

Fantastic day out ...


... Jonathan and I set off early this morning to travel along the North Wales coast - the A55!  The scenery is just lovely; we were heading to Colwyn Bay - Jonathan wanted to visit a camera shop there.  We checked in - saw some fab equipment.

Then we headed off to the promenade.  It was acutally rather sad - Victoria Pier, originally built in 1900 and once the centre of seaside life and really lovely,  is closed and is falling into ruin.  The Pier was closed in 2008 and there have been alsorts of options discussed about its future - but nothing has been decided as yet.

However, that didn't stop us taking lots of photos.  The photo above shows just how quickly the Pier has fallen into ruin - to be fair, I think that there hasn't been much in the way of maintenance for many years before it was closed.  When we walked underneath the Pier I saw one of the metal support poles had corroded so much that in places only fragments remain!!  Looks fab in a photo!


Walking further along the promenade, we came across these birds walking across the beach - they were really funny to watch - moving extremely fast and making lots of noise!!  I also saw some seagulls picking up mussels and dropping them on the pavement and stones to break the shells and get at the mussels!!











After a lovely walk along the promenade we headed back to the car and went onto Llandudno.  Now I had a special reason for wanting to visit - not only is the place just lovely - it has a super craft shop too.  And as we were so close I just had to pay a visit.  I got a few goodies - four 12" × 12" srapbook paper packs for only £10, some lovely net and organza, a set of rubber stamps that are gorgeous - you will see them soon - and some 8" × 8" white card blanks.  As the weather had really improved we decided to go to Conwy - a really super place.

We spent ages walking around Conwy, along the quay front, along the Suspension Bridge and around the town.  It was just gorgeous.  It was warm and sunny with a gentle breeze to keep it from getting uncomforable.  We both took lots more photos - and I'll share a few more here now.

The children here were all crabbing!!  They got buckets, poles and were trying to collect crabs - and having a some success too.  Looking through the arch up the street - lots of flags (perfect for Less is More) didn't recognise the flags though.  Must check it out on Google!

As we walked around the quay we came across the Smallest House in Britain - and this lady in Welsh costume was in front telling stories about the place.  She was talking to a little girl who was queuing to go inside.


I have been trying to look at things in a slightly more abstract way too - trying to see pictures in unusal places.  I took this shot of a tyre tied to the side of a blue boat with yellow cover.  I'm really pleased how well it turned out.  I also saw this old chap sitting and watching people go by - he was perfectly happy for me to take his photo - giving me a thumbs up as I thanked him.





















We walked further along the quay and came up onto the road next to the Suspension Bridge and Conwy Castle.  We visited the Castle in 2003 when on holiday - so we didn't go in again today, but we must go back - it's a fabulous place to visit.  As I was coming up the stairs I saw the tourist bus starting to cross the bridge and I quickly focused and took this one - a real holiday snap - but fun!!


After a bit more walking we headed back to the car and home.  But we went the slightly more scenic route via Rhyl and Prestatyn.  And eventually we got to Mostyn - home of the Duke of Lancaster - an old car ferry that was beached here in 1979.  I believe she was once a club of sorts, but it never really lasted and she's now rusting quietly.  Jonathan went off to take some photos of her, while I stopped at another craft shop - Abakhan where they sell fabric, wool, gifts and crafting stash!!

We've had a brilliant day out - with lots to see and do, lots to photograph, crafting goodies purchased and even a lovely meal to round off the day. 

Before I go - I've noticed that I've a new follower - I'd like to say hello and welcome to Barbara - great to have you join me.  Only 5 more followers and I'll have 100 - that'd be great!!  Anyway, it's now almost 10.30pm and I'm really shattered.  So nice to have time for just the two of us!!  That's all for now - I'll be back tomorrow with some crafting bits to share!!  See you then.

13 comments:

Sasha said...

Wonderful pictures, Deborah. It looks like you and your husband had a lovely day. I do hope that British heritage, or some other society, save the pier. It does look to be very neglected, and it's such a pity...it sickens me x

Paula (PEP) said...

Sounds like you've had a lovely day - that last photo is superbly English/Welsh too - a real tourist pic which sums up why I love living in the UK.
Take care of that knee.
Paula (PEP)

Jenny said...

Sounds a perfect day...photography, craft shopping and taking in the sights..oh and eating :)
Love the photos
Jenny x

A Consuming Passion said...

What a wonderful day this sounds Deborah! I was telling my husband who knew all the areas you spoke about as from Liverpool he spent his childhood holidays in and around this area. Great to see you happy photos too....all the news we're hearing of home just now sounds terrible.....big cities though I guess!

Tara Cardwell said...

Sounds like the perfect day - I'm very envious!
Tara x

Donna Mosley said...

Love the pics, Deborah, sounds like you've had a lovely day.

Donna x

Sue Lelli said...

What an absolutely LOVELY day! THX for sharing your photos and your experiences! Almost felt like I was there!

Mona Pendleton said...

What great photos Deb! You are right~ that one of the tire is really neat! We have a pier similar to that here in So. Cal and it is a hotel and a restaurant. Always booked! Looks like you had a great time! :) Thanks for sharing!

Pauline said...

What a fab day out you had, I have been to Wales many years ago but haven't made it yet with the children, and we are not too far down the road from you! I think we are going to have a trip next Easter or half term, I love castles!

Buffy said...

Super pictures Debs, looks like a great day out.

Jackie said...

Great photographs, I particularly love the birds - are they oystercatchers? - and their reflections :o)
Jackie xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Deb, this all takes me back a few years ago when our friends and us took a trip to North Wales, it is such a marked difference to the South, we loved it, it's great to see all the pictures you have taken especially the Welsh costume again, now St Davids day isn't a holiday anymore, it's a rare site, but so beautiful and bright too. Thanks for reminding me of a lovely holiday.
xx

Stella said...

Deb this is such a lovely post. I love the photos and the way you described the day; it must have been fantastic!!! I am glad you had a wonderful time. Enjoy being together again :)
Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...