Saturday 18 October 2014

WMSFC - Halloween ....

....  Hello again!  I'm back with our new challenge at Waltzingmouse Fanatics.  Before I get to that though, I'd like to say thank you to all those who played along with our last challenge - it was so nice to see such fab cards - the thumbnail display was so, so pretty!!  Anyway, it's time to tell you our theme this time - and you already know it:

HALLOWEEN

You can go vintage, scary, cute, clean and simple, shabby chic - whatever takes your fancy, just make a Halloween themed project.  You must use at least one Waltzingmouse stamp, sentiment or digi.  I love Halloween and have made a couple of cards.  Here's the first:

Nevermore - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Stamps: Waltzingmouse - All Hallow's Eve, Text-It; Stampin' Up! - Gorgeous Grunge
Inks: SU - Smoky Slate, Concord Crush; Versamark; Memento - Tuxedo Black
Accessories: White Lustre Card; SU Card - Smoky Slate, Concord Crush; Ribbon; Copic Markers

I used the colours from this week's Inspirational - INK#67 challenge and the layout is based on the sketch at Freshly Made Sketches - FMS#158.  I think the colours are perfect for a Halloween card.  I made the card base from grey card and stamped the text in grey for a tone-on-tone look.  I found the ribbon at my local craft shop, but it's actually cream, so I coloured it with my Copic markers.  I stamped the raven onto some white card and cut it out.  I decided to colour the raven with very pale purple markers as black birds often have a purple or blue cast.  I stamped a grunge border on the purple panel.  I finished with a sentiment stamped in Versamark and heat embossed in white.  The purple panel was adhered with dimensional tape.  On the inside I cut a white panel, stamped a spooky church ruin and simple sentiment.  Both the inside and purple panel have distessed edges.

Nevermore inside - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

My next card has a much more contemporary feel and is quite clean and simple too.

Boo to You - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Great Big Owl; Stampin' Up! - Making Spirits Bright
Inks: Versafine - Onyx Black; Memento - Tuxedo Black; Archival - Jet Black
Dies: WMS - Big Owl Dies
Accessories: White Lustre Card; SU Card - Bermuda Bay, Early Espresso; Clear Embossing Powder; Copic Markers

I used the layout from the current CAS(E) this Sketch! - CTS#96.  I think I've mentioned that I love owls and when Claire released this set I just loved it.  However, this is the first time it's actually been inked up!  I stamped the owl and circles in Versafine, hear embossed with clear powder and cut them out with the matching dies.  I decided to go for a funky owl using lilac and turquoise.  I cut the branch from brown card and adhered the owl and branch directly to the card base.  I lined the circles along the edge of the card and then cut away the bits between each circle.  I used my stamp-a-ma-jig to position the sentiment along the circles.  I decided to add a fun sentiment to the owl's belly and it is attached with dimensional tape.  On the inside I covered the base with turquoise card and on the white panel stamped a fun greeting and added some more circles.

Big Owl inside - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

In the photo below you can see what I mean about cutting out the card between the circles.  For more Halloween inspiration - check our the projects from Kathy and Tara. 

Big Owl detail - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

 You have plenty of time to play along, deadline is Thursday 30th October 10.00pm BST (5.00pm EDT).  That's all for now - see you soon.

signature

11 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Gorgeous creation. Love the mono purple colours on the first and the colourful zentangle theme of the second. {Would love you to visit my blog and join my 1,000 Follower Give-Away. Thank you so much, if you have already entered, and good luck.}
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Anonymous said...

Wow Deborah! You have been busy. I like the creepy Halloween look of your first card and the bright, colorful owl of the second. I did not think about it, but purple really is a great Halloween color. I am so glad you joined us at Inkspirational for our Purple/Grey challenge! Also, congrats on being a top pick for our beverage challenge!

Unknown said...

I love both of your cards, the raven with the purple and the text it background. I have just got that set so will have to give it a try. Love the Owl set, great stamping and colouring on your card.
Kathy x

Linda Callahan said...

Wonderful Halloween cards inside and and out! I adore the Nevermore Raven.......marvelously creepy! Glad you joined us at FMS!

Jen Brum said...

Great cards Deborah! So perfect for Halloween! Great colours! Love the vintage look! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

Buffy said...

Another amazing card Debs. Love "The Raven" reference.

Buf x

Jackie Scott said...

Thanks for your visit, you have a wonderful variety of cards - Like the raven with the purple and grey! And the distressing on your CAS card. Really like your colours for the owl and the way you have cut away some of the card. Super sentiment!

Sue Lelli said...

They are all so Different but all so Wonderful! LOVE the subtleness and eerie quality of the second one!

Joyce said...

Fab cards here all around, but I am in love with that gorgeous owl card. I saw it over at CAS(E) This Sketch, and just had to rush over for a closer look.

Marina said...

This is an elegant and atmospheric Halloween card and looks great in our colour combo.
Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges. Come back next time! Marina

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, wow, these are fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...