Wednesday 6 July 2011

Krafty-men .....

..... the challenge at CAS-ual Fridays this week is to create a masculine card using kraft!!  Easy - no!!  Not easy!  Well, that's not entirely true - lots of people have already made stunning cards, but it's taken me quite a while to come up with something.


However, I'm quite pleased with my card - even if it's taken me the whole week to come up with my design.  I've kept to kraft as the main colour with black as my neutral.


I started off by stamping the wonderful wood grain background from Way Out West by Waltzingmouse.  I stamped it in Versamark and then heat embossed with clear powder giving a lovely tone-on-tone effect.  However, I wanted to emphasis the wood grain effect, so I rubbed chalk ink all over the base card and wiped off the excess.  The result - a wood grain panel!  I stamped this lovely lighthouse and ship onto some more kraft paper, again using clear embossing powder.  I added some soft colour to the image with chalk inks and Stardust pens - it's very soft and subtle.  I cut out the image and mat with the funky wonky rectangles from Spellbinders, and mounted them at angles onto the card.  I added a bit of definition around the edge of the stamped image using Soft Suede.  Finally, I added an anchor and birthday sentiment.  Both started off with white backgrounds, but I added colour with my inkpad! 

Stamps:  Kanban - All Occasions
Inks:  Versamark; Stampin' Up! - Crumb Cake, Soft Suede; Colorbox Chalk Pigments - various; Memento - Tuxedo Black
Spellbinders:  Wonky Rectangles (S43-6) die # 5 and 6
Accessories:  Card, sentiment and clear embossing powder from stash

We're off to our local market today to see what goodies they have on offer.  Usually, there's a great selection of fresh produce, as well as some super clothes stalls.  So we'll have a little more girl-time and then stop for coffee!!  See you later!

11 comments:

Jackie said...

Brilliant card and design, I love those nestie shapes :o)
Jackie xx

Anonymous said...

Love the nautical theme, great design :) Thanks for playing this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

McCrafty's Cards said...

brilliant card Deborah, I like the soft colour the image and the anchor.
Kevin xx

Jen W. said...

Gorgeous, Deb! Love the stamped lighthouse panel and the touch of yellow for the light. And those Spellbinders shapes are so cool - perfect for a guy!

Kim S said...

I love the subtle colors on the beacon and the rest of the image. It's very peaceful.

Michele Gross said...

Great design! Love the woodgrain background and the fun tilt to the focal panels. Glad you played along at CAS-ual Fridays!

G Peplow said...

Great job, very masculine and perfect for the challenge,great colours! Well done, Gay xxx

Paula (PEP) said...

Love the woodgrain effect & those rectangles will have to come live further south too - one day - saving for a Big Shot & between there are lots of little other temptations along the way..........Chocolate Baroque & Sugar Nellie amongst them!
Paula (PEP)

Vicky Hayes said...

I love this - like a really old mariners' map - and it looks great on the woodgrain base.

Jaclyn Miller said...

Love that woodgrain with that image and the addition of the anchor is perfect. Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays this week.

Stella said...

Brilliant idea; this is the perfect masculine card. I love the woodgrain background; gorgeous!
Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...