Wednesday 17 August 2011

Greens and blues ....

.... the challenge at For Your Inspiration - FYI#11 has the most wonderful photograph to inspire us.


It really is a stunning photo, but it's taken me ages to come up with a card.  At first I was going to have a go at doing reflections - but I changed my mind.  Instead I decided to focus on the gorgeous shades of blue and green in the picture and on the lovely symmetrical shape of the buildings and their reflection.

I've been playing with alcohol inks a lot this week - it's very messy, but lots of fun - and I have to thank Chrissie and Mandi - I've only starting using these inks because of this week's challenge at Less is More - check it out.

I used alcohol inks in green and blue on a large sheet of acetate, the aim being to create a feeling of water.  I attached the acetate to my card base using brads.  I used a piece of satin ribbon and made a ruffle effect - sort of representing the white of the clouds.  Then I used my Labels 20 nesties to cut a large mat in blue holographic card - to represent the sky and sort of take on the shape of the buildings.  I also cut a smaller layer in white card to which I added shades of blue and then stamped on a bold, but simple sentiment.  I'm pleased with the end result, but I wasn't sure that I'd get a card done before the deadline!!


Stamps: Hobby Art - Happy Birthday
Inks:  Adirondacks Alcohol Ink - Citrus, Pool, Sail Boat Blue
Spellbinders:  Labels 20 (S5-026) # 3 and 4
Accessories:  Card, holographic card, acetate and ribbon from stash

I'm off to the hospital to see the physiotherapist about my knee.  I've been doing the exercises they gave me and I've been having no problems at all walking, so all being well I won't have to see them again. 

I think that's likely to be all for today.  See you all tomorrow.

19 comments:

Buffy said...

Lovely card, great ink work.
Buffy x

Sara Mac said...

So glad you joined us again at FYI Deb. I took forever with a card idea for this photo too. I really like the use of alcohol inks here. Such a great background.

McCrafty's Cards said...

This is fabulous Deborah, I like how you have made that background. you are clever,
Kevin xx

Susie said...

Making your own background paper is a wonderful idea! And very trendy :) I think your card is lovely!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Great card- love the AI on the acetate- I love the rouched ribbons too! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog- and I am glad you left a link!

Marlena M. said...

Lovely marble effect...the colors are perfect and your ribbon treatment is beautiful! ;)

Vicky Hayes said...

I love the way you've interpreted the photo here! So pleased your knee seems to have healed up well.

Kathleen B. Hernandez said...

Wonderful play of colors with your inks!

Kathleen
Blog: “Let’s Get Scrappy!”

Sasha said...

WOW! You're on a roll now girl with the alcohol inks! I love this, Deborah. Such a fabulous interpretation of the photo! x

StephC said...

Beautiful take on the inspiration photo. So glad you joined us again at FYI! :)

Donna Mosley said...

Hi Deborah, I love the fab alcohol technique and the colours go so wonderfully together. Hope all goes well with your knee hun.

Donna x

Paula (PEP) said...

Delightful with that deep blue layering for the sentiment & a very striking interpretation of the photo. Nice one.
Paula (PEP)

Jenny said...

Just love the effect of the inks on acetate. I can totally see your thought process with this card, Love it :)
Jenny x

Michelle said...

Deb, those colours are delicious! I love the effect you've created.
Michelle.

cheryl said...

these are such super colors with great effect,love it bless you for your comment on my blog hun,love hugs cherylxxx

Debby said...

Wow, you really thought this one through. I love how the inspiration is different for each person. Great use of the alcohol inks again. Thanks for joining us at FYI.

Stella said...

My comment may sound boring but you did it again; You nailed this challenge! I love the idea of water created with alcohol inks and the frame as a reflection of the building. And when there is blue involved....love it!
Hugs!
XX

Cheryl said...

This card is stunning! I love the background and the blue die cut and sentiment are so pretty against it.

dstandard said...

This is gorgeous and such an awesome take on the photo! Thanks for playing at FYI!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...