Wednesday 1 April 2015

TMR - Technique ...

... Good morning!  Here's hoping April's Fool Day is being kind to you!  Moving on, it's time for our new challenge at The Male Room.  We have a technique challenge - we want you to create a masculine themed project using

METALLIC EMBOSSING POWDER

I've a fun and funky card to share with you:

Kaboom - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Kaboom!, Halftone Basics
Inks: Versamark; Hero Arts - Green Neon, Blue Neon; Versafine - Onyx Black
Dies: WMS - Kaboom
Accessories: White Lustre Card; Stampin' Up! Card - Basic Black; Embossing Powder - Gold, Silver; Copic Markers


I've used a couple of challenges to make this card.  This week's Inkspirational Challenge - INK#79 is to use neon colours - done!  The layout is based on the sketch at CAS Colours & Sketches - CASC&S#117, but I've made an A2 card instead of square. Both my husband and son (and me) really like graphic novels and that gave me the idea.  I've been dying to play with these fab halftone stamps since I got them.  I stamped the border in Versamark and heat embossed with silver and gold powder.  On some scrap white card I used yellow, green and blue Copic neon markers to create a gradient of colour and die cut the word Kaboom!  Once dried I stamped the dots onto in Versamark and embossed with silver powder.  I also die cut the word in black and very carefully assembled the black frame, the gradient word and added back the black spaces.  I stamped two halftone images in neon ink and the star frame in Versamark, embossing in gold and silver.  An unexpected bonus was tht the neon ink wasn't quite dry, so embossing powder stuck to it and the result is fab.  Here's a close up of the metallic embossing.

Kaboom detail - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

I added a border of neon and a simple sentiment, as well as some stars.  On the inside I cut a mat layer of black card and simply stamped more halftone images in neon ink.

Kaboom inside - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's GemsKaboom Sq - photo by Deborah Frings - Deborah's Gems

For more inspiration using metallic embossing powders check out the projects from the Design Team.  Have fun with the challenge, you have until Tuesday 14th April midnight BST (7.00pm EDT) to play along.

By the way - thank you to everyone who applied to join the team.  We are in the process of going through the submissions and will let the successful applicants know as soon as possible.

Before I go a few words about April's Fool day.   I don't go practical jokes, but I do enjoy some of the more elaborate ones created by companies.  While I didn't see the programme, I do think that one of the best jokes ever was the Spaghetti Trees - reported by Panorama on BBC TV in 1957!!  Here's a clip from the programme - enjoy:



signature

11 comments:

Patricia Hays said...

What a cool card! It's kind of like "Andy Warhol meets Comic Books" art. :) You did a super job with it, Deborah. Thanks for joining in our sketch challenge at CC&S!

Jane said...

This is fun! Love the comic book style and feel of your card. Thanks for using the CC&S sketch and playing along.

Vicki Dutcher said...

LOVE that Kaboom -- total FUN!

Skylark said...

You would never have known that the embossing wasn't meant to be like that, I think it's fab! Thanks for joining us at CC&S this week Deborah. Stef x

Unknown said...

Haha what a fun card and great way to use our sketch Deborah!
Thanks for joining us at CAS-Colours and Sketches this week!
Lizy xx

Louise van Vuren said...

Kaboom! Nailed it! Three challenges in one and a FAB card, Deborah. Just love everything about this, the textured border the large graphic, the colours.which guy wouldn't want to receive this card! Well done my friend
Louise xx
PS...and thanks for playing at CC&S

Marina said...

Spectacular! The embossing looks great. I came over here from The Male Room but I can see you've also entered this at Inkspirational, so thanks for that.

Jan Clothier said...

WOW! Love what you've done with the Kaboom but then it all ties together to perfection! Fantastic card.

Anonymous said...

Cool card design! Thank you for sharing with us at Inkspirational!

Yvonne Garner said...

Really cool card design! Thanks for sharing at Inkspirational!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deborah! This card is so fantastic, it totally made me want that "Kaboom!" stamp set (big time and RIGHT NOW!). Hope I can get my hands on it over here in Germany. ;) Sunny wishes from *Cori

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...