Wednesday 1 August 2012

Olympic Sports .....

.... Are you enjoying the Olympic Games?  I am!!!  The TV coverage here is good - although it is obviously focused on Team USA.  I would so like to see more of Team GB!!  I was so excited when London won the games.  So you can imagine being in the US, while it's absolutely fabulous, is a bit of a downer for me!!!    I have really missed the build up with the torch being carried around the UK.  The atmosphere in the UK, London particularly, must be fantastic!!  And what has sports and the Olympics got to do with cards and craft?  Well, it's time for the St Luke's Charity Card Challenge and this month our theme is:

Olympics/Sports

I've made two cards this month - and it will come as no surprise that my first card has an Olympic/London theme.


Stamps:  Papermania - Portobello Road Urban Vintage (PMA907126); Waltzingmouse - Freespirit Boy; Personal Impressions - 1st, Tennis
Inks:  Distress - Mustard Seed, Festive Berries, Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean, Black Soot; Versafine - Onyx Black
Accessories:  Clear embossing powder, Spellbinder dies to cut Olympic rings; Official London 2012 Logo; Card from stash

This is a large card, 10" x 7".  I started off by masking the edges of the card - 5cms in from each edge and then stamping St Stephen's Tower (often called Big Ben) and embossing with clear powder.  Then I sponged on colour, using my distress inks, in the order of the Olympic rings.  Next I randomly stamped images representing sports and London.  To cut out the rings I used #3 & 4 of the large Spellbinder circles, taping them together to keep the rings equal.  I cut the rings from foil card - you can't see the shine in the photo above, but I think it looks fab in the view below.  I was going to stamp London 2012 above the image, but I really like the official Games logo, so I printed it off, cut it out and attached it to my card.


My second card is perfect for a tennis fan.  It is really quick and easy to make too!!  I used some Kanban paper to cover the base of the card, then stamped the tennis racket, shoes and ball twice onto white card.  I used Promarkers to add some colour to the image.  I cut out one image in full and just the ball and front shoe from the other image, then layered them.  I finished off with a simple birthday greeting.


Stamps:  Hobby Arts - Happy Birthday; Personal Impressions - Tennis
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black
Accessories:  Promarkers; Kanban designer paper, Card from stash

We have a super prize this month - a full set of stamps from Waltzingmouse Stamps.  This lovely set, Blessed by You, is just fab with lots of wonderful sentiments and sweet images.



For more inspirational sporting themed cards, check out the DT's cards, by clicking on the links below or going directly to our blog for full details of the challenge and how to donate cards to St Luke's Charity Card Challenge.


At the time of typing this post (5.38pm) Team GB have four medals - two Silver and two Bronze.  Huge congratulations to the GB Men's Gymnastic team for getting Bronze!!  China and USA are tied on 23 medals each, but China have more Gold!!  Hopefully Team GB will get some more medals soon.  That's all for now.  

Edited:  Just seen that my cards fit in with the challenge at Paper Play Challenges - PPC30 - Sports/Olympics - so I'm linking up to this challenge.  Just been catching up with the Olympics - the US Ladies Gymnastic team were brilliant and I'm really pleased that Michael Phelps has got the record for the highest number of medals for a swimmer.

15 comments:

Jenny said...

I love your London 2012 card, the metallic rings look so posh over the London montage :0)
I'm not normally a sports person but I have to say the Olympics are producing some amazing performances...let's hope we start to climb the medal table soon.
Jenny x

Pauline said...

This is a fab inspiring card Deborah, I love the shiny rings and the clever sponging with the sporty background and good old big Ben! Brilliant!

Stamps and Paper said...

Two great cards Deborah particularly love the London themed one with the rings.

Anne

Tara Cardwell said...

I have a soft spot for tennis as you know so love your tennis card. But seriously - the Olympic one just blows me away! Fantastic work Deborah.
As for atmosphere in London - it's all gone a bit "wrong" they showed Picadilly Square on the news last night - at 2pm in the afternoon - it was deserted! The hotels are all reducing their bed prices to try to attract tourists as everyone without tickets is staying away and most people only have tickets for one day so aren;t staying over....

Vicky Hayes said...

Wow Deborah - this is just stunning! You sound as if you're really missing the British buzz - have you tried BBC iPlayer? I've only been able to snatch a few glimpses of the Olympics on TV but what I have seen has been amazing! Vicky x

Ardyth said...

WOW! That Olympic card is stunning! The interlinking rings and the matching sponging is just fantastic!

Lynne said...

Two amazing cards Deborah. Love them both but the Olympic rings one just has the edge.Fabulous!
Lynne xxx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Deborah
This is fabulous...,love the rings....
Hugs Sylvie xxxx

Buffy said...

Two truly stunning cards Debs.
Love your Olympic one.

Buf xx

M said...

Love the Olympics one - it's great how the colours are in order behind the rings! M x

M said...

Love the Olympics one - it's great how the colours are in order behind the rings! M x

Stella said...

Your take on the "Olympics"is fabulous. I love that Big Ben stamp. A mix of London and the Olympic symbols; wow!

The tennis card is also a beauty but the Olympics is my fave:)
XX

Mona Pendleton said...

Wonderful cards Deb! Way to show your Olympic spirit!

Jen W. said...

That really is a bit of a bummer to be on the other side of the pond when all the excitement has come to the UK! :( You have rocked your Olympic card though. Your inking and stamping are gorgeous!

Susan said...

Deborah, you've got two great cards here...and I had to struggle with my cards! I found I really don't have "sports" related stamps in my collection! I LOVE the Olympic rings card...very cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...