Saturday 13 April 2013

Clean, simple, non-traditional Christmas ....

... Hi - it's time for our new challenge at 52 {Christmas} Card Throwdown.  It's the second week of the month and that means we have a colour challenge for you - shades of blue!  Here's my card:


Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Festive Foliage, Off Beat Backgrounds, Yonder Star
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Night of Navy, Bashful Blue; Versamark
Accessories: White Lustre card; Cameo - cut shapes; Glossy Accents; SU Card - Night of Navy; Clear Embossing Powder



For the layout I followed this week's challenge at CAS(E) this Sketch - CTS23 and I got the idea for a non-seasonal stamp from the current Waltzingmouse Christmas Card Challenge - WMSCCC04-13 .   I was also inspired by Julia's cards for the March WMS Christmas challenge.

I think this chevron stamp is one of my all time favourites.  I stamped the Night of Navy image first and immediately inked the stamp again with Bashful Blue and stamped, giving this lovely mid-blue shade.  I cleaned the stamp and then inked again with Bashful Blue and stamped.  In order to get placement of the stripes correct, I stamped them onto a separate sheet of card and cut out the panel - very easy!  This allowed me to move the panel around before adhering to the card base.  I used my Cameo to cut out a number of the WMS cut files that Claire has made for us - so much quicker then cutting by hand!!  I stamped the holly leaf trio in Night of Navy and attached them to the card with dimensional tape.  I finished the holly with some berries, stamped in Bashful Blue and covered with Glossy Accents. 

I didn't want to put a sentiment on the front as I didn't think it would work.  So I moved my sentiment to the inside.  I cut a mat layer in Night of Navy and one in White Lustre.  I stamped the sentiment in Versamark on the little dicut, heat embossed with clear powder and then inked over with Bashful Blue to reveal the sentiment.

I was having such fun with this card - and I had lots of holly leaf trios cut that I decided to make another card using the same design, but this time with traditional colours of green and red.


Stamps: Waltzingmouse - Festive Foliage, Off Beat Backgrounds, Compliments of the Season II
Inks: Stampin' Up! - Old Olive, Real Red; Versamark
Accessories: White Lustre card; Cameo - cut shapes; Glossy Accents; SU Card - Real Red; Clear Embossing Powder
This is one of those occasions when the second card works just that bit better than the original idea!!!  I love the blue holly, but the green and red really pop! 

Anyway, I can't wait to see your Christmas creations with our fabulous shades of blue.


That's all for now - see you soon.


19 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi Deborah I really love this design simple but so elegant.
hugs
Margaret M

Jackie said...

Oh I love that background stamp. Great cards :o)
Jackie xx

Paula (PEP) said...

I'm not surprised the chevron stamp is a favourite of yours. I love the blue version - that suprised me, doesn't one learn from others??
Paula (PEP)

Maja said...

Love them both.

Sasha said...

Hi Deborah,
Your chevron stamping is very striking and gives a really fab dimensional effect. I love your colour choices on both cards.

Enjoy a lovely weekend xx

A Consuming Passion said...

A great take on each of these challenges Deborah!

Heather Rogers said...

Beautiful CAS designs. I love different color options you used here. :)

sarahstone said...

I love the simplicity of your card. It really brings out the beauty of the colors! I really like the red & green card too! Great job!

Darnell said...

I sat back in my chair when your nontraditional blue Christmas card popped up using this fun sketch, Deborah! I love it and I'm glad to see that the "out of the box" colors are going to be cool again this year. Thank you for that! But then, what? Your same design in the Christmas colors is also brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

Great cards-and a fabby modern twist on the traditional Christmas!
Great take on this sketch :)
Nessa xx

Ardyth said...

Love both of these - fun to see holly in non-traditional colours! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CAS(E) This Sketch this week!

Jacqueline said...

Deborah - this is such a beautiful card - love the layout and the blue tones - love it in the traditional colours too - Jacqueline xx

Jen W. said...

Love this design in both colors. Such a fabulous CAS Christmas card! Thanks for playing along with CAS(E) This Sketch this week!

Ruth M said...

Great card design Deborah, really fresh and modern! I love both versions but the red and green does pop more as you say!
Ruth x

Mynn xx said...

These are SO cool, Deb! LOVE the diagonal chevron and the beautiful holly image! HUGS and hope you have a great week! :)

Danielle Vincent said...

I love that wonderful chevron pattern - especially in the blue! So wonderful! Hugs D

Unknown said...

What a fabulous design- I love it in both color combos and I love that chevron stamp! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS(E) this Sketch!

Patricia H said...

The chevrons stretching across the card diagonally are very eye-catching! You did a great job with both color schemes, Deborah!

Louise van Vuren said...

This is a fabulous design, I'm not surprised that you made it in different colourways, but the original blue is my favourite- so cool!
Louise xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...