Saturday 29 January 2011

Purple rose ...

.... that's the inspiration photo, and it's totally gorgeous.  This week's colour challenge from The Play Date Cafe - PDCC66 - is to use a splash of colour - PURPLE!!!  Love it.  I am combining this with the challenge from Just Us Girls - JUGS69 - which is to make a 3D flower.



















Now I'm not great at making 3D anything.  However, I have attempted a decoupaged rose.  I cut out the petals and layered them up - only three layers mind!!  (see picture below for detail)  I've kept this card really clean and simple, and decided that the black, grey, silver and purple would make an excellent sympathy card.  It's never easy making a sympathy card, but it's useful to have one in your collection - just in case.

Anyway, I used a soft grey backing paper onto which I sprayed some silver Cosmic Shimmer - first time out of the bottle!!  And I love the soft shimmer that it gives the paper - I'll definitely be using it again.  I used the small rose from my Waltzingmouse Roses in Bloom set, stamped the image three times and coloured them with Promarkers.  I used my new Octagon nesties to cut out the base layer but turned it to stand on a point!  I made a backing layer in black gloss card by drawing around the die and cutting out the shape.  I found two shades and widths of purple/lilac ribbon, stuck them together and attached them to the card.  I finished off with a simple greeting which has also been sprayed with some Cosmic Shimmer silver.




Stamps:  Waltzingmouse Stamps - Roses in Bloom
Inks:  Memento - Tuxedo Black
Promarkers:  Amethyst, Orchid, Lavender, Apricot, Amber
Spellbinders:  Large Octagon (S4-185) die #5
Papermania:  Inspirations - Black and White Colossal Paper Pack
Accessories:  Craftwork Cards - Sympathy Greeting; Ribbons from stash; Cosmic Shimmer silver spray


Detail - to show 3D effect on rose
Despite not being great at 3D things - I'm quite pleased with the subtle effect!  I think I may have another go at 3D flowers later this week.

Now, a quick film review - Tangled - a really fun film.  It's the story of Rapunzel - but updated a bit.  She's a feisty girl who wants to explore the world and gets involved with a rogue called Flynn Rider!!  It's a great way to spend some time with the children and the story is not too soppy.  We saw the 2D version, but there is a scene where the couple are in a boat on a lake and the sky is full of Chinese lanterns - I should think in 3D this is magical.  There is the usual happy ending, but not without a tear (well I shed one or two) along the way.  Kathryn and I had a great time :)

That's all for now.  I have another card to share with you later this evening.  And then tomorrow is the latest CR84FN challenge - do check back for that - the colours are fabulous!!!

13 comments:

McCrafty's Cards said...

a really lovely card Deborah, your rose is beautiful.
Kevin xx

Fiona said...

Lovely card Deborah - the flower is delightful! Thanks for playing along at the PDCC :)

Julie Ranae said...

What a gorgeous entry and you really created a lovely dimensional rose, Deborah!
We love having you play with us each week in The Play Date Cafe :)

Tracey said...

So happy to see another beautiful entry from you Deborah!!! Thanks for joining us at the Play Date Cafe:)

Maria said...

Ohhh what a lovely card! Such a pretty dimensional flower! And what a great touch with the silver shimmer spray!

Paula (PEP) said...

I love this - such tremendous colours & the shimmer of the background is beautiful. Your decoupage rose is very effective, especially with the octagon angled like that. Classically tasteful. Glad you had a good morning with Kathryn.
Paula (PEP)

Maria said...

Lovely card! Love your layered 3D flower. Thanks for playing along with JUGS this week.

Colleen Dietrich said...

Hi Deb! Nice to see you again this week. :D
I love all the pearly shimmer on your card, and your 3D flower. I feel as you do, that I am not good at making 3D anything, but I found a link on YouTube that worked for me. Go visit my blog: colleen-dietrichdesigns.blogspot.com to my 'Inspired by a Table Arrangement' card; the link is there.

Hugs to you! And thanks for playing at the Cafe. :)

Michelle said...

Beautiful sympathy card, Deb! You're right, you never know when you need one. Your 3d flower is perfect!

Dana Gustafson said...

Lovely! I love your elegant bloom! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls this week!

Andrea Ewen said...

Gorgeous CAS design and lovely sympathy card. The splash of color is beautiful! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

Jaclyn Miller said...

Lovely sparkly background and that octagon shaped focal is so unique. Thanks for playing along at The Play Date Cafe.

Ruby said...

Really lovely card. Sympathy cards are always so difficult to make. I love your design. Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...