Sunday 21 August 2011

Brilliant weekend .....

... you know, sometimes it takes a visit from friends or family to make you see the place you live in with new eyes!  Sue and Saffron, my Aunty and cousin, came to see us for the weekend - they've not been here before, so we took them out to see the area.  And it was fabulous.  Even the weather was kind to us!!

We started off on Saturday with a trip to Chester - a really beautiful city.  We did a ride on the river, then a trip round the city on an open-top bus and finally we headed to the races - just super.  We all had a great time - all of us - including the children, taking lots of photos.  So I'd like to share a few photos of Chester.


Jonathan, Kathryn, Sue and Saffron


 Old Dee Bridge - leading to Handbridge


Rowing on the River Dee

Ruins in the Roman Garden


A row of cottages in Chester City centre


First race on Saturday - the racecourse was packed!


Proving that Kathryn is still a big kid at heart - thank goodness!!!

Today, we had a bit more of a leisurely start and I was delighted to learn that both Sue and Saffron like to craft too!  Yea!  A good excuse to have a rummage in my craft room.  They are both quite new to crafting, so we had a play and I demonstrated heat embossing - one of the first things that got me hooked - and now I've got them hooked :) 

We headed into Mold - and took part in a Treasure Hunt organised by the camera club.  We were given 10 themes - eg time, transport, two colours, etc - and then we had to take photos.  We were left to interpret the names as we felt appropriate.  This turned out to be a great way to go around a town and have a fresh look at familiar places and objects.  I think it's also a great idea for keeping older kids occupied in the holidays!!  I won't show all my pictures from today, but I'll share a couple.


Category: Green - so I went with the colour, and I love this image!


Category: Two colours - off a shop name - just concentrated on the sun ray effect


Category: Time - I like this clock, it's at the local bus station - and that's time for me!!

I didn't win anything - but Jonathan came second in the Adult competition and Kathryn came second in the children's competition - we're so proud of her.  Sue and Saffron had lots of fun walking around with us, and have decided that it's a game they'll play when they get home.

Such a great weekend.  Kathryn has only got two more weeks left of her summer holidays - and we're going to be fairly busy this week.  Monday - we're all having a bit of a rest - and I plan to get into my craft room - I've a few challenges to catch up with!  Hope you all had a lovely weekend.  Thanks for stopping by.  See you later.

5 comments:

Paula (PEP) said...

The photography looks great fun & I love your takes on the green & the two colours. Glad you had good weather & a lovely time together.
Have a good week.
Paula (PEP)

Jackie said...

Beautiful photographs :o)
Jackie xx

Pauline said...

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend, so nice to spend it with family. Fab pics of your outing, I have Chester on my list of places to visit too!

Tara Cardwell said...

We had our anniversary in Chester a couple of years ago - my first ever visit - it's beautiful and I loved the river boat cruise.

I think the camera treasure hunt is a genius idea - will borrow that one! Well done to Kathryn and Jonathan.

Tara x

Jenny said...

Looks like you had a blast Deborah. Love the idea of a photo treasure hunt too.
Jenny :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...